Brogans Help

charliegold

Private
Joined
Feb 3, 2025
DISCLAIMER. I am a total greenhorn headed for his first event as a uniformed member. SO- a basic question for experienced reenactors-

I bought a pair of Brogans for an upcoming event next week. I can't get my foot through the mouth of the opening. My heel is getting hung on the mouth and I can't get my whole foot in there. I ordered a size larger but don't think my feet can handle a size even larger. Comments and suggestions solicited. The event is in 1 1/2 weeks and I'm probably going to end up wearing my work boots, sadly. So I may not pass the authentication.
Anyway, thx for comments.
cg
 
DISCLAIMER. I am a total greenhorn headed for his first event as a uniformed member. SO- a basic question for experienced reenactors-

I bought a pair of Brogans for an upcoming event next week. I can't get my foot through the mouth of the opening. My heel is getting hung on the mouth and I can't get my whole foot in there. I ordered a size larger but don't think my feet can handle a size even larger. Comments and suggestions solicited. The event is in 1 1/2 weeks and I'm probably going to end up wearing my work boots, sadly. So I may not pass the authentication.
Anyway, thx for comments.
cg
I imagine you have already tried the shoehorn trick and have removed all the laces before trying them on. I think the next step is to confirm that they are actually the size you ordered. It's possible that the order got mixed up in shipping.
 
Yup double check the size (where did you buy them?) Loosen them up all the way and see of you can get in them then wear them and break them in before the event. You need to get the soles scuffed a little or you'll be sliding around all over the place and hopefully they'll break in so you can get into them better.
 
I have a pair of brogans that already look somewhat like modern work boots, so maybe you will pass authentication with yours on. Maybe your trousers are slumpy enough to help you out!

One member here says he has a pair of desert boots that look all right from 20 feet away. A large show outlet might have something workable. Of course, new shoes might need a lot of 'aging' to get ready in time.

But if these brogans truly are not the correct size, the vendor might be willing to urgent-ship them to you if you let them know you have an event in a week and a half.

AR
 
I bought a pair of black ankle boots.
thx to all replies
You still need to get yourself the correct shoes that fit properly. The first things in your kit should be a good quality pair of correct shoes and a good hat and/or cap. Poor or incorrect shoes and headgear stand out like a sore thumb. If your new group has the slightest bit of authenticity standards or you ever want to attend a quality authentic event you'll need the right thing.
 
You still need to get yourself the correct shoes that fit properly. The first things in your kit should be a good quality pair of correct shoes and a good hat and/or cap. Poor or incorrect shoes and headgear stand out like a sore thumb. If your new group has the slightest bit of authenticity standards or you ever want to attend a quality authentic event you'll need the right thing.
And whether people believe it or not, well made and cared for brogans last a lot longer in the field and are far more comfortable than all but the most modern of shoes or boots. They are also an investment that hold their value pretty well.
 
And whether people believe it or not, well made and cared for brogans last a lot longer in the field and are far more comfortable than all but the most modern of shoes or boots. They are also an investment that hold their value pretty well.
Right on, that goes with everything really, better to spend a little more up front for good quality, it will save you in the long run in most cases.
 
I have a pair of brogans that already look somewhat like modern work boots, so maybe you will pass authentication with yours on. Maybe your trousers are slumpy enough to help you out!

One member here says he has a pair of desert boots that look all right from 20 feet away. A large show outlet might have something workable. Of course, new shoes might need a lot of 'aging' to get ready in time.

But if these brogans truly are not the correct size, the vendor might be willing to urgent-ship them to you if you let them know you have an event in a week and a half.

AR
I've used Chukka Boots before for years. Rubber soles are period. Not Rubber Souls though. HA! Ament' I clebber? Back to the boots. When rubber soles wore out I got a pair of leather blanks and cut those to size and attached the uppers. Heavy usage stained the light brown uppers to a dirty grey brown look. I was going to dye them but they looked cool light brown. I had worn them casually before committing them to the 'sickness' so they were never brand new in the field. Still have them from the late '70s, resoled early '80s.I havent worn them for decades being shangheied (?) into the Cavalry right about then.
Cheers!
 
After a long interval I will be wearing my brogans from Mo. Boot and Shoe this weekend. Waiting on hip replacement surgery so I'm limping from that. It Should provide entertainment for the old hands. Hoping thick socks and a good attitude will get me past the worst. Nothing beats persistence and willpower (except Olympic size blisters on your feet😩😩).
 
After a long interval I will be wearing my brogans from Mo. Boot and Shoe this weekend. Waiting on hip replacement surgery so I'm limping from that. It Should provide entertainment for the old hands. Hoping thick socks and a good attitude will get me past the worst. Nothing beats persistence and willpower (except Olympic size blisters on your feet😩😩).

Good luck with your recovery. As a veteran of knees shoulder & hands, stick with the physical therapy is the best advice I can give.
 
To add a contribution to answer the original poster's questions:

Missouri Boot and Shoe hand-make each pair of footwear here in the United States and have the original purchaser provide dimensions of their feet (and calves if the purchaser is buying boots) as well as tracings of both feet, so their products tend to fit straight out of the box and require minimal breaking-in. Some other suppliers source their products off-shore and those items often run on the small, and therefore tight, side, and are very much an out-of-the-box sort of thing; they'll either fit properly or they won't. To compound the issue, the size stated on the box may or not accurately reflect adherence to any known American shoe size, a sad truth that doesn't make buying by mail any easier. The initial purchase price of MB&S footwear is frequently a bit higher than that of their competitors, albeit not by that much once their quality is factored in, but they last forever with even modest care and are appropriately historically accurate. (That's not any sort of paid endorsement, by the way, but rather the result of several decades of experimenting with reproduction period footwear, and is only my opinion.)

Try following the advice offered by several others and substantially loosen the laces when you put your brogans on, and make sure they fit correctly when they're on your feet. It could just be that they're too small and you may need a different size. Aside from that, it's not unknown for a new pair of properly made shoes or boots to run a little tight in the heel to minimize slippage; boots in particular have to slip some in the heel but can sometimes be a bit too tight in that area when first acquired. An easy solution to the problem is to sprinkle a small amount, a pinch or two will do it, of talcum powder into each shoe or boot at the heel. It serves as a dry lubricant, only needs to be done once, is accomplished with a material widely available during the Victorian era, and will substantially ease the process of putting on or removing footwear until the leather has a chance to mold to the feet. I was taught that particular trick by an old Turtle (a pre-Second World War rodeo cowboy) back in the late 1960s and have tried it myself. It's worked for me, although your own mileage may vary.

I hope these comments are of some use.

Best,
phil
 
Last edited:

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top