• Braxton Bragg

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • William S. Rosecrans

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters
Braxton Bragg vs William S. Rosecrans

220px-Braxton_Bragg.jpg
230px-GenWmSRosecrans.jpg

Who do you think was the better commander?

I vote Bragg, though I think its pretty close.

Last edited:
Rosecrans, by far. He beat him at Murfreesboro by default when Bragg retreated. He manuvered him out of Middle Tennessee. He manuvered him out of Chattanooga.
Bragg has little to do with the victory at Chickamauga. Fact is, he refused to believe it once the firing stopped. His men and Longstreet won that fight. Bragg actually hurt the victory by not following it up.

Rosecrans, by far. He beat him at Murfreesboro by default when Bragg retreated. He manuvered him out of Middle Tennessee. He manuvered him out of Chattanooga.
Bragg has little to do with the victory at Chickamauga. Fact is, he refused to believe it once the firing stopped. His men and Longstreet won that fight. Bragg actually hurt the victory by not following it up.
I think the reaction I have seen among a number of soldiers and junior officers I have read regarding the two generals is also telling. A lot of the Cumberlanders regarded Rosecrans fairly well and saw Chickamauga as a stain on an otherwise good record. Bragg' men? Not so much. Even in victory they were often unhappy with him.

Back