Boy or Girl?

Boy or Girl?

• Boy

• Girl

Results are only viewable after voting.
Picture # 1 [female]
Picture #2 a beard and an Adams apple {male}
By the way any expert recognize the pattern on # 2 uniform?

What about Forrest's Contestant #3 here...?
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
It seems strange, but apparently men dressing as women for their photos was not all that unusual. I don't get it, but I'm sure 1850's Americans wouldn't get a lot of what we do.
So it was okay for men to dress as women, but if women dressed as men (soldiers) they were sometimes thrown in jail. Gotsa ta love double standards!!!!!

It seems strange, but apparently men dressing as women for their photos was not all that unusual. I don't get it, but I'm sure 1850's Americans wouldn't get a lot of what we do.
Just curious what your basis for saying "was not all that unusual"...? I don't doubt you at all, but just wondering have you read about this somewhere, or have you just seen numerous examples, theater materials, or some other sources... etc.?

The fact that the press so quickly jumped on the (erroneous) assertion that Jeff Davis was dressed as a woman perhaps provides some evidence that the public was attuned to the phenomenon...

So it was okay for men to dress as women, but if women dressed as men (soldiers) they were sometimes thrown in jail. Gotsa ta love double standards!!!!!

I don't have specific examples, as I don't save cross-dresser photos, but I think I've seen more women dressed like men than vice-versa - but I think that's because I am not that in tune with 1850-70 hairstyles and clothing to always be able to spot the cross-dressing. Also, I think it was seen as a big joke when I guy dressed like a woman (as in the example I posted). Maybe not so much with women doing it? I don't know.

You could set up a search on ebay similar to: (tintype,ambrotype,daguerreotype) (cross-dresser,androgynous) and see what it yields over time. Or you could just google the terms and see what pops up.

Just curious what your basis for saying "was not all that unusual"...? I don't doubt you at all, but just wondering have you read about this somewhere, or have you just seen numerous examples, theater materials, or some other sources... etc.?

The fact that the press so quickly jumped on the (erroneous) assertion that Jeff Davis was dressed as a woman perhaps provides some evidence that the public was attuned to the phenomenon...

I wasn't sure how to phrase my statement - I've seen numerous examples, so "not all that unusual", but I wouldn't say it was 'common'. Also, I don't see such photos getting a huge premium, so they must either be 'common enough' or not all that interesting to collectors. The example I posted seemed really eye-catching and more extreme than any examples I remember seeing in the past. It could be theatrical, as you suggest, and the identifying documentation hasn't survived.

Back