"Bowie List" corrections/additions compilation?

dabutler288

Cadet
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed in the past. Please bear with me as I am new to the forum/site.
Lead-up information for my question:

(following is copied from WHILBR website)
"A descriptive list of the burial places of the remains of Confederate soldiers, who fell in the battles of Antietam, South Mountain, Monocacy, and other points in Washington and Frederick counties, in the state of Maryland.
This book, published in 1869, also known as the Bowie List, records the location of the Confederate soldiers buried where they fell on the battlefields or near hospitals and homes where they died after three battles in Maryland during the American Civil War. In later years the remains of many of these soldiers were re-interred in the Washington Confederate Cemetery, Hagerstown or Mount Olivet Cemetery, Frederick."

This great resource has been digitized and is available online at the Western Maryland Historical Library.
Also available is an index for this book.

The book is known to contain errors such as misspelled names, initials only, no unit, etc...
for example - one of the soldiers is incorrectly listed as "J T Biaion?"
(the name is obviously misspelled as they placed a question mark indicating they did not know the correct spelling)

My Question:
Is there a database or depository somewhere that will accept correct name spellings submitted by researchers and if so, is this updated list online available for other researchers to view the corrected information?

I ask because several of the soldiers listed in this book are from my home county. In the book, however, they are either listed with only initials or their name is completely misspelled, or both.
I have the correct full names for them but I do not know where to submit this information for it to be an "addendum" to the book, or a reference list for others. The soldier listed in the example above is one of them from my home county. His last name is actually spelled Binion, not Biaion.
Surely, there are other people in the country who have correct names for other soldiers listed.

Thanks,
David

The site has an interactive map - click on a marker and it shows the whose graves are at that location. I clicked on one at random and up came a very familiar name from my home town:
61 * Benj. Mell * 1st Ga. Died 21, Oct 1862
In N W corner of Episcopal graveyard E of Petersville.​

There is a marker on South Mountain that mentions his name.
From the front of the marker:

The Mell Rifles, Co. D, Cobb's Legion Infantry, was raised in Athens, GA, in July 1861, by Patrick Hues Mell, Baptist Minister and Vice Chancellor of the University of Georgia. After Mell resigned due to his wife's death, Thomas U. Camak was named commander. John Boswell Cobb, Robert Goodman and W. A. Winn were named lieutenants. Noncomissioned officers were J.F. Wilson, Wm. A. Gilleland, S. P. Kenney, G. W. Barber, J. J. Mattox, and L. H. Horne. The unit fought throughout the war until two days before Appomattox, when it was surrounded and captured.

Sgt. Benjamin Mell, son of Patrick, was seriously wounded, Thomas S. Lee, a local Southern sympathizer, nursed Mell at his home, "Needwood Forest" near Petersville. Mell died there on Oct. 21, 1862, and was buried in St. Mark's Epsicopal Churchyard, Petersville, his grave marked by a handsome monument.

The Troup Light Artillery was organized in Athens in 1859 and was placed under command of Professor Marcellus Stanley. Stanley later became ill and turned over command to Dr. Henry Carlton, and Athens physician. In his report on the Battle of Crampton's Gap, Gen. Howell Cobb praised the unit for coolness under fire in checking the advance of the enemy.

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed in the past. Please bare with me as I am new to the forum/site.
Lead-up information for my question:

(following is copied from WHILBR website)
"A descriptive list of the burial places of the remains of Confederate soldiers, who fell in the battles of Antietam, South Mountain, Monocacy, and other points in Washington and Frederick counties, in the state of Maryland.
This book, published in 1869, also known as the Bowie List, records the location of the Confederate soldiers buried where they fell on the battlefields or near hospitals and homes where they died after three battles in Maryland during the American Civil War. In later years the remains of many of these soldiers were re-interred in the Washington Confederate Cemetery, Hagerstown or Mount Olivet Cemetery, Frederick."

This great resource has been digitized and is available online at the Western Maryland Historical Library.
Also available is an index for this book.

The book is known to contain errors such as misspelled names, initials only, no unit, etc...
for example - one of the soldiers is incorrectly listed as "J T Biaion?"
(the name is obviously misspelled as they placed a question mark indicating they did not know the correct spelling)

My Question:
Is there a database or depository somewhere that will accept correct name spellings submitted by researchers and if so, is this updated list online available for other researchers to view the corrected information?

I ask because several of the soldiers listed in this book are from my home county. In the book, however, they are either listed with only initials or their name is completely misspelled, or both.
I have the correct full names for them but I do not know where to submit this information for it to be an "addendum" to the book, or a reference list for others. The soldier listed in the example above is one of them from my home county. His last name is actually spelled Binion, not Biaion.
Surely, there are other people in the country who have correct names for other soldiers listed.

Thanks,
David

Back