NF Book suggestion?

Non-Fiction

MikeyB

Sergeant
Hello everyone,
I'm about to finish Sears book, Lincoln's Lieutenants: High Command of the AoTP. Absolutely loved it, but looking for the next book to conquer. Couple of questions.

I'm a big Catton fan, with This Hallowed Ground being perhaps my favorite book. I've read Terrible Swift Sword and Never Call Retreat. Knowing this, is it worth reading his AoTP Trilogy? Or will this cover a lot of the same ground as his other trilogy + the Sears book?

Finally, can anyone recommend a good book that narrates the war in the West from start to finish?

Regards,
Mike

If you can find it: "Battles and Leaders" Three volumes, covers the entire war. Written and illustrated by those who fought it.

If you can find it: "Battles and Leaders" Three volumes, covers the entire war. Written and illustrated by those who fought it.
Battles and Leaders is a 4 volume set which were a series of articles in the Century Magazines during the 1880' written mostly by the generals who fought the battles.i believe Cornell University has the Century magazine online.
If you google search "Century Magazine" use the link to cornell.

Battles and Leaders is a 4 volume set which were a series of articles in the Century Magazines during the 1880' written mostly by the generals who fought the battles.i believe Cornell University has the Century magazine online.
Four Volumes. May I add that there are numerous first person accounts from the ranks. And yes it is a compendium of Century magazine. In an easily accessible form.
Battles and Leaders is worth the read. After that you find where your interests lie and branch out.
Whatever your next book mission is enjoy my friend.

I agree with @nitrofd and @Yankeedave . Battles And Leaders will lead you further down the path to finding where your Civil War interests lie. Another giant tome worthy of reading is Allan Nevins' 8-volume Ordeal Of The Union and The War For The Union. This massive set is basically Battle Cry Of Freedom on steroids - and it's written by a better writer.

I agree with @nitrofd and @Yankeedave . Battles And Leaders will lead you further down the path to finding where your Civil War interests lie. Another giant tome worthy of reading is Allan Nevins' 8-volume Ordeal Of The Union and The War For The Union. This massive set is basically Battle Cry Of Freedom on steroids - and it's written by a better writer.
Have not read Allen Nevins. Will have to now. I did Shelby Foote's three volumes soo... :thumbsup:

Nevins was the first real bible of the civil war.sometimes he is a bit dry but the wealth of information is well worth the slow spots.

Catton's A0TP trilogy is certainly worth reading. These were the first books about the Civil War that I read and they are still among my favorites.

Interesting reads for sure but many biases, fuzzy memories, and self justifications....
Good starting point though

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. May I ask, are there any good recommended narratives that just focus on the Western theater?

That said, Battles and Leaders sounds like it may be next on the list. Is this a primary source used often by modern authors?

You cannot go wrong with Catton for a more Northern view and Shelby Foot for a more Southern view. If you read only what these two gentleman wrote you would be a well read and informed person (and you will enjoy the reading, too).

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. May I ask, are there any good recommended narratives that just focus on the Western theater?

That said, Battles and Leaders sounds like it may be next on the list. Is this a primary source used often by modern authors?
Nothing But Victory by Steven E. Woodworth is the history of the Army Of The Tennessee.

It does get used a source of reference,but with modern research there is so much more to add on too.the newspaper the "National Tribune" will relate stories from a lot of officers but you will get many reports from the enlisted men plus a lot of war correspondence from back then.for Braxton Bragg a great reference is "Liddell's Record",this was his recollections of the war that he penned just for a record for his family never intended to be in print.

Back