• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Breads/Biscuits Blue Ribbon Corn Cake

blue ribbon corn cake
(from Transactions of the Wisconsin State Agriculture Society, Blue Ribbon Winners at the Wisconsin State Fair of 1860)

Ingredients:

2 qt. indian corn meal
1 qt. Graham flour (whole wheat)
1 packet or cake yeast
1 c. molasses or sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt​

Instructions:

Two qts. Indian meal, 1 qt. Graham flour, 1 cup yeast, 1 c. molasses or sugar, 1/2 tea-spoonful soda, 1/2 tea-spoonful salt.​
First Place - Blue Ribbon Recipe by Mrs. H. W. Hayes, Palmyra, Wisconsin.

Looks good! Is there anything special about "Indian Corn Meal"? Or will the ordinary type be ok?

Are there other state fairs at time that published recipes? This is a great find. I will have to check fairs out.
My sister-in-law, who is practically professional in the kitchen, told me that the best cookbooks are often those small, community ones (because anyone who attaches his/her name to a recipe sure wants it to be good and because the directions are intended for actual users).

Of course, you really should try out these--you just have to eat your way across the country! 😊

I have some early Church cookbooks with old recipes. I have seen state fair recipes for winners of ribbons. But be great to find ones dating back to this time period.
Maine just put out a state-wide community cookbook in which some of the recipes go back to colonial days. Probably other states have done something similar so, if you're checking online, don't forget about going state-wide.

Back