Barnard's Missing (?) Images

Chattahooch33

Sergeant Major
Annual Winner
kenn.jpg

George Barnard accompanied Sherman during the Atlanta Campaign and took all of the images we know of the Atlanta area during the war. He has pictures starting at Rocky Face Ridge down to Savannah. A glaring area of omission however is the time between Kennesaw Mountain and the fighting at Peachtree Creek.

We all know the following picture. I was taken of earthworks in front of Kennesaw Mountain. It is unknown if it was taken before or after the fall of Atlanta but the siege ended on September 2 and that is the beginning of fall. The leaves on the trees look for and the picture appears to be around July to me which would have been right after the battle.

If you go in chronological order the next image was of the Peachtree Creek battlefield:

ptc.jpg

The battle of Kennesaw was on June 27 and Peachtree Creek was on July 20. You had an entire month of operations from the Smyrna-Ruff's Mill line down the Chattahoochee then action on the Atlanta outer defense line before the AoT fell back to the inner defenses, Johnston was replaced, and Hood took command launching the Peachtree Creek battle.

My point for this post is that there is only 1 single picture of the Chattahoochee River along the Confederate river line defenses. If you are a student of the Atlanta campaign you know the river line was one of the most ingenius and revolutionary battle line perhaps in the entire war. Sherman commented on the strength of the line and another federal (Poe?) stated it was the strongest works he had ever come across. The "shoupades" were a curiosity which had to have attracted the photographer's eye. The river was fought over and a milestone of the campaign. Why did he not take pictures of that area? I have a theory. It rained and rained and rained that summer. Could a box of his images have been damaged? We will never know. Maybe they are stuck in an attic somewhere waiting to be rediscovered?

I suggest someone resurrect Barnard and tell him to get his act together.

Here is the single solitary and terribly lonesome picture of "sort of" the Chattahoochee and the river defenses. It is taken from the south bank to the north. The actual River Line would have been out of view past the far ridge, about a mile away.

hooch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 130828
George Barnard accompanied Sherman during the Atlanta Campaign and took all of the images we know of the Atlanta area during the war. He has pictures starting at Rocky Face Ridge down to Savannah. A glaring area of omission however is the time between Kennesaw Mountain and the fighting at Peachtree Creek.

We all know the following picture. I was taken of earthworks in front of Kennesaw Mountain. It is unknown if it was taken before or after the fall of Atlanta but the siege ended on September 2 and that is the beginning of fall. The leaves on the trees look for and the picture appears to be around July to me which would have been right after the battle.

If you go in chronological order the next image was of the Peachtree Creek battlefield:

View attachment 130829

The battle of Kennesaw was on June 27 and Peachtree Creek was on July 20. You had an entire month of operations from the Smyrna-Ruff's Mill line down the Chattahoochee then action on the Atlanta outer defense line before the AoT fell back to the inner defenses, Johnston was replaced, and Hood took command launching the Peachtree Creek battle.

My point for this post is that there is only 1 single picture of the Chattahoochee River along the Confederate river line defenses. If you are a student of the Atlanta campaign you know the river line was one of the most ingenius and revolutionary battle line perhaps in the entire war. Sherman commented on the strength of the line and another federal (Poe?) stated it was the strongest works he had ever come across. The "shoupades" were a curiosity which had to have attracted the photographer's eye. The river was fought over and a milestone of the campaign. Why did he not take pictures of that area? I have a theory. It rained and rained and rained that summer. Could a box of his images have been damaged? We will never know. Maybe they are stuck in an attic somewhere waiting to be rediscovered?

I suggest someone resurrect Barnard and tell him to get his act together.

Here is the single solitary and terribly lonesome picture of "sort of" the Chattahoochee and the river defenses. It is taken from the south bank to the north. The actual River Line would have been out of view past the far ridge, about a mile away.

View attachment 130831
It really is too bad there aren't more pics because those are really good.

A collection of high res photographs by Barnard (including all of his Georgia images) can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/smu_cul_digitalcollections/sets/72157631970465084

Edit: Actually I don't think those are all of his Georgia images (there are a few more of Atlanta out there) but most of those he took on his trek from Chattanooga down to Atlanta are in there.

8170377251_7c6779fd4d_b.jpg

As to why he only shot that one image of the Chattahoochee, not sure, but he seems to have taken about one or two images of each location of significance in the campaign on his way to Atlanta.

I've read that a bunch of his negatives got burned in Atlanta during the fire but I'm not sure if the identities of these have been identified. They could survive as prints, but I doubt many of them would be printed in an area with few photographic supplies.

Barnard also returned to photograph a number of battlefields after the war and it is said to be hard to figure out whether or not some of his photos of battlefields are postwar or taken during campaigns.

Last edited:
This thread needs more Gettysburg discussion in it to garner interest...
Yet it can be argued that Sherman's Atlanta campaign was far more consequential than the Gettysburg campaign....

Last edited:
Back