Bachelder maps

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

johncla

Private
Trying to understand the confusion I felt when people referred to "the Bachelder maps" I did some research. I found there are TWO interesting sets of Bachelder maps. First, a set of three summary maps, one for each of the three days. On those maps Bachelder used different icons to indicate initial position, intermediate position, and final position for each brigade on that day's map. Second, there's a set of 28 more detailed maps that show positions at different times on each day, and show positions for regiments. Artillery units are covered also, but I'm not clear on level of detail or how Bachelder handled movement by artillery units.

The really interesting thing is that the three single-day overview maps are available online from the Library of Congress. I do not see the 28-map set available online. Apparently the 28-map set was published recently by Morningside Press, see the civilwartalk thread here.

I am not a lawyer. The 28-map set was paid for by the War Department, so who owns the copyright? Assuming that the information on the maps in the 28-map set is pretty valuable to scholars, I'm surprised they're not available online. I recently bought a set of the 28 maps, presumably one of the ones printed and sold by Morningside, and I don't see any copyright markings.

Is this analogous to the information on USGS topo maps? The information on USGS maps seems to be treated as public domain and freely copied for public and commercial benefit.

Any ideas? Why are the maps in the 28-map set not available online?

johncla

Private
"Why are the maps in the 28-map set not available online?"

Answering my own question...after thinking about this overnight, my guess is:
  • the 28-map sets are rare. I don't know how many are out there. My sense is Morningside did not print a big number.
  • it will require significant effort to digitize the maps, plus skills and equipment.
  • will require an internet server that supports file downloads.
  • and of course there may be an intellectual property issue.

Would be nice if they were available as a download.

Tom Elmore

Sergeant Major
Member of the Year
I own a set, purchased from Morningside years ago, and refer to them on occasion.

Yankeedave

1st Lieutenant
Trying to understand the confusion I felt when people referred to "the Bachelder maps" I did some research. I found there are TWO interesting sets of Bachelder maps. First, a set of three summary maps, one for each of the three days. On those maps Bachelder used different icons to indicate initial position, intermediate position, and final position for each brigade on that day's map. Second, there's a set of 28 more detailed maps that show positions at different times on each day, and show positions for regiments. Artillery units are covered also, but I'm not clear on level of detail or how Bachelder handled movement by artillery units.

The really interesting thing is that the three single-day overview maps are available online from the Library of Congress. I do not see the 28-map set available online. Apparently the 28-map set was published recently by Morningside Press, see the civilwartalk thread here.

I am not a lawyer. The 28-map set was paid for by the War Department, so who owns the copyright? Assuming that the information on the maps in the 28-map set is pretty valuable to scholars, I'm surprised they're not available online. I recently bought a set of the 28 maps, presumably one of the ones printed and sold by Morningside, and I don't see any copyright markings.

Is this analogous to the information on USGS topo maps? The information on USGS maps seems to be treated as public domain and freely copied for public and commercial benefit.

Any ideas? Why are the maps in the 28-map set not available online?
I do not know. But I will say they are great maps. Tells what fences were made of, what crops were in the fields. Invaluable.