Discussion Artillery Service

I am surprised that so many 6 pound cannon survived the war. Melting down three of them salvaged enough very valuable metal to cast 2 Napoleons. Mr. Newton's laws being what they are, a 12 pounder is exponentially more powerful than a 6. That is quite a trade, same number of horses, same number of men, huge increase in hitting power. If that isn't a win/win scenario, I don't know what is.

View attachment 345557

One of the four original 1841 model six pound smoothbore cannon on the square in Franklin TN. There were six pounders at Ft. Negley, Fortress Rosecrans, Ft Defiance & other backwater installations. I assume that explains their survival.

View attachment 345561

In this image taken of Battery Mitchell in Fortress Rosecrans Murfreesboro TN, a Model 1841 show glancing blow to the wheel & a corresponding dink in the gun barrel. In the background is one of the homegrown experiments that has been pointed out. It appears to be a 70 pound field howitzer. Either that or it is a prop from Buster Keaton's The General.
It would be interesting to know how many survivors were re-bored rifles. I suspect not many because bronze was not conducive to durable rifling but who knows. That first photo is an excellent image of a 6 lber - well done.

Back