Ancestors

Wolfman0125

Private
When researching my genealogy I found that I had an ancestor in the Confederate Cavalry who married the daughter of a Union General. The Confederates name was Hiram Fultz from Texas and the Generals last name was Calhoun. (Can’t remember his first name but I think it may have been Robert) Calhoun also had also had a son who was killed and scalped by Comanche Indians at only13 years old along with a black woman who was killed with him. Never know what you’ll find doing Genealogy.

When researching my genealogy I found that I had an ancestor in the Confederate Cavalry who married the daughter of a Union General. The Confederates name was Hiram Fultz from Texas and the Generals last name was Calhoun. (Can’t remember his first name but I think it may have been Robert) Calhoun also had also had a son who was killed and scalped by Comanche Indians at only13 years old along with a black woman who was killed with him. Never know what you’ll find doing Genealogy.
You did find some interesting information.

I do not find a General Calhoun in the Civil War on either side. Did he serve prior or post?

I also checked the archive for a Hiram Fultz in Texas units. No luck. Did he possibly serve another state, or the CSA itself?

What are the source for your information?

@Wolfman0125 I think this is a great story that may have some details lost to time. That has certainly happened in my family! Family stories are usually correct at heart but over a few tellings they get some added gloss or twisted facts. I'd love to help you get the real story behind this.

Like @steamboater I didn't get a hit on the facts as you listed them. I did find several Hiram Fultzes (sp?) who could be our guy. Of course, Fultz gets some crazy spellings along the way so that's going to complicate things. What else can you tell us about Hiram? Any details - where born, father's/mother's name, where and when died, etc. would all be helpful.

Researching my Ancestor Peleg Nelson Tolley of the 58th Massachusetts infantry. He was wounded for a second time July 30 1864 and taken prisoner....he is listed at Andersonville GA...but he is buried in Danville Virginia.

Researching my Ancestor Peleg Nelson Tolley of the 58th Massachusetts infantry. He was wounded for a second time July 30 1864 and taken prisoner....he is listed at Andersonville GA...but he is buried in Danville Virginia.
His service file (18 pages), including POW records, and the pension file (28 pages) for his widow and three minor children have both been digitized and can be downloaded from Fold3.

There's also a cross reference to the widow's pension for Valentine Perry, Co. D, 3rd MA Inf. Without looking, I'm guessing that Peleg's widow remarried.

Last edited:
His service file (18 pages), including POW records, and the pension file (28 pages) for his widow and three minor children have both been digitized and can be downloaded from Fold3.

There's also a cross reference to the widow's pension for Valentine Perry, Co. D, 3rd MA Inf. Without looking, I'm guessing that Peleg's widow remarried.
Bob, Thanks!
Yes, I took advantage of the memorial day free access to Fold3 and got some of Peleg's service and pension records...but I don't think I saw all 18 of the service records or all 28! Of the pension records...My membership to Ancestry is about to expire once again.... have to scrape some funds together I guess!
Yes, Maria Married Valentine Perry after Peleg's death. I knew he was also a soldier but I did not know what Regiment...so Thank you for that info. I love adding pieces to the puzzle. Maria and Valentine had a few children too.
Arnie Tolley Slater

@Wolfman0125 I think this is a great story that may have some details lost to time. That has certainly happened in my family! Family stories are usually correct at heart but over a few tellings they get some added gloss or twisted facts. I'd love to help you get the real story behind this.

Like @steamboater I didn't get a hit on the facts as you listed them. I did find several Hiram Fultzes (sp?) who could be our guy. Of course, Fultz gets some crazy spellings along the way so that's going to complicate things. What else can you tell us about Hiram? Any details - where born, father's/mother's name, where and when died, etc. would all be helpful.
I did find that his father in law was named William Calhoun Smartt. He owned a distillery and after attending a temperance meeting where he heard a preacher talking about the evils of drinking alcohol he closed down his distillery, locked the doors and never went back. Hiram Fults was married to Mary Smartt. Hiram was the son of Adam Fults and Jane Nunley or Nunnaly. Here is a picture of Hiram and Mary.

FD1A2207-8FB5-4816-8515-3AAB498A87A1.png

F9B848AB-0281-4613-BC16-486EB83F2AB8.png

So that clarifies a lot, though it contradicts some of the things you had believed in your original post. Hiram Fults who married Mary Smartt is pretty well documented. He was born in Grundy County, Tennessee in 1842 and lived there his whole life. He died in 1922 and is buried in the Fults Cemetery, just north of Altamont, TN, in Grundy County. He married Mary Smartt January 5, 1868 in Grundy County. They had about 7 children (best info I could find - I didn't do a full tree and search).

I cannot find any record that showed Hiram fighting in the Civil War. There was a Hiram Fults about the same age who fought for the Union from Kentucky, but I am certain that is a different man. I checked the Tennessee pension lists and the 1800 Census - nothing.

It does appear that Mary's father William fought for the Union. Her mother Esther got a pension for his service in the 1st Tennessee and Alabama Vidette Cavalry.

Yeah it had been a while since I looked at my ancestry.com tree some of the people get muddled together. All of the data I found was a mixture of hints and stuff other people posted. Hiram Fults was only related to me through my moms marriage to my stepdad and not a blood relative. However he is a blood relative to my brothers and my sister. I am a blood descendant to Napoleon Bonaparte though as well as a few other historical figures. Don Antonio Gil Y’Barbo who founded the oldest settlement in Texas. Located in Nacogdoches. He was born in Los Adaes which was the first Capitol of Texas prior to Austin. Ironically the first Capitol was located in what is now Louisiana. Also related to Empress Maria Theresa of Hungary, and Queen Victoria of England, The Earls of Ellington, and shamefully, The Rothschild family. Those are the only ones I can mention on here having to be born during the civil war or before. I found out that information doing a genetics test, not Ancestry. Ancestry only tracks marriage ties but genetics tracks blood ties, inherited traits and blood quantum.

Back