Ancestors

Wolfman0125

Cadet
When researching my genealogy I found that I had an ancestor in the Confederate Cavalry who married the daughter of a Union General. The Confederates name was Hiram Fultz from Texas and the Generals last name was Calhoun. (Can’t remember his first name but I think it may have been Robert) Calhoun also had also had a son who was killed and scalped by Comanche Indians at only13 years old along with a black woman who was killed with him. Never know what you’ll find doing Genealogy.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
When researching my genealogy I found that I had an ancestor in the Confederate Cavalry who married the daughter of a Union General. The Confederates name was Hiram Fultz from Texas and the Generals last name was Calhoun. (Can’t remember his first name but I think it may have been Robert) Calhoun also had also had a son who was killed and scalped by Comanche Indians at only13 years old along with a black woman who was killed with him. Never know what you’ll find doing Genealogy.
You did find some interesting information.

steamboater

Private
I do not find a General Calhoun in the Civil War on either side. Did he serve prior or post?

I also checked the archive for a Hiram Fultz in Texas units. No luck. Did he possibly serve another state, or the CSA itself?

What are the source for your information?

lupaglupa

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
@Wolfman0125 I think this is a great story that may have some details lost to time. That has certainly happened in my family! Family stories are usually correct at heart but over a few tellings they get some added gloss or twisted facts. I'd love to help you get the real story behind this.

Like @steamboater I didn't get a hit on the facts as you listed them. I did find several Hiram Fultzes (sp?) who could be our guy. Of course, Fultz gets some crazy spellings along the way so that's going to complicate things. What else can you tell us about Hiram? Any details - where born, father's/mother's name, where and when died, etc. would all be helpful.

Arnie Slater

Private
Researching my Ancestor Peleg Nelson Tolley of the 58th Massachusetts infantry. He was wounded for a second time July 30 1864 and taken prisoner....he is listed at Andersonville GA...but he is buried in Danville Virginia.

Bob Velke

Private
Official Vendor
Researching my Ancestor Peleg Nelson Tolley of the 58th Massachusetts infantry. He was wounded for a second time July 30 1864 and taken prisoner....he is listed at Andersonville GA...but he is buried in Danville Virginia.
His service file (18 pages), including POW records, and the pension file (28 pages) for his widow and three minor children have both been digitized and can be downloaded from Fold3.

There's also a cross reference to the widow's pension for Valentine Perry, Co. D, 3rd MA Inf. Without looking, I'm guessing that Peleg's widow remarried.

Last edited:

Arnie Slater

Private
His service file (18 pages), including POW records, and the pension file (28 pages) for his widow and three minor children have both been digitized and can be downloaded from Fold3.

There's also a cross reference to the widow's pension for Valentine Perry, Co. D, 3rd MA Inf. Without looking, I'm guessing that Peleg's widow remarried.
Bob, Thanks!
Yes, I took advantage of the memorial day free access to Fold3 and got some of Peleg's service and pension records...but I don't think I saw all 18 of the service records or all 28! Of the pension records...My membership to Ancestry is about to expire once again.... have to scrape some funds together I guess!
Yes, Maria Married Valentine Perry after Peleg's death. I knew he was also a soldier but I did not know what Regiment...so Thank you for that info. I love adding pieces to the puzzle. Maria and Valentine had a few children too.
Arnie Tolley Slater