Edged Wpns Ames Sword

Davidson

Cadet
Hello,

Just joined as I saw the site when looking for information – looks like a great forum.

Would like to get any commentary on an Ames sword. I have no expertise, but have done a little reading on line (which means I have no expertise).

That said, any help would be appreciated.

1) What model is this? Heavy Cav? Light Cav?

2) On one side I see A.D.K. which I have looked up as Andrew D King. There is also US above this.

3) No readable date but looks like something could have been under the A.D.K.. Any way to clean this to decipher this? Can this be dated or approximately dated without the engraving? Also would the date definitely be below the ADK or are some of these undated? Also see the “3” note below. 1863?

4) There is a very large “3” stamped across the A.D.K. I could not find anything like this on line. Regiment numbers and such seem to be hand scratched and seems to be done in the manufacturing process.

5) One the other side I see CHICOPEE, MASS. Above the CHICOPEE is the Ames name which is partially worn. What would this exact text be?

Again, I know nothing other than a little on line research, so any comments would help.

See pics.

Thanks

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

Nice looking model 1860 Ames made sword. The Ames marks come in a few different types and your is the 3 line block address as below. The 3 in a mystery. Your correct on the ADK. Look on the pommel cap and the scabbard drag and see if there are any other initials.
1620937094556.png

photo courtesy of the relicman.

Nice sword. Is the wire still on the grip or was it painted or otherwise colored black. Is it the consensus that the scabbard is original? You don't see many that are silver, do you?

Nice looking model 1860 Ames made sword. The Ames marks come in a few different types and your is the 3 line block address as below. The 3 in a mystery. Your correct on the ADK. Look on the pommel cap and the scabbard drag and see if there are any other initials.
View attachment 400629
photo courtesy of the relicman.

Thanks for the reply. Could not find any other markings. Thanks for the photo - the top line does appear the same, but the MASS on mine is much larger than your photo. Is there a manufactured date implied in any of that? Also I have seen some with A.D.K. and others with just ADK. Since the year is not readable was just curious if any of that narrowed it down.

Nice sword. Is the wire still on the grip or was it painted or otherwise colored black. Is it the consensus that the scabbard is original? You don't see many that are silver, do you?

Wire is still there (or so I think - remember I am not knowledgeable). Scabbard appears to have similar aging based on my untrained eye. I would still like to know about the mystery "3". Why would it be there at all and why right on top of the inspector mark? Batch #? Order #? Year? Any of these would suggest there are others with this mark.

So there no ADK on the pommel? Ames had several different marks and ADK was an inspector thru 1865.
1620942919280.png

The Ames Model 1860 cavalry saber was made from 1857 to 1865. In general, the three line block style address was used in the earlier years. Later sabers were ususlly marked with the banner type marking, although both a three line address and an arched address are sometimes seen on late war sabers. Virtually all the sabers should have been stamped with a year date. Apparently though, those made for the first contract in 1857 had many flaws, almost half of the first 1000 inspected by A.D.King being rejected. Eventually 1000 sabers were were accepted and delivered in August 1857. Interesting enough, Thillmann reports that apparently those sabers delivered in 1857 are not dated and are considered rare. But a correct 1857 saber should both A.D.K and R.H.K.W. inspector initials on the pommel tang dome. Capt. R.H.K.Whiteley was reassigned to Texas in March of 1858, so sabers after that date will not have his initials. Apparently there have been sabers reported where someone has intentionally removed a date on A.D. K. Inspected sabers hoping to pass them off as undated 1857 sabers. But having the R.H.K.W. initials on the pommel tang dome is the tell. Since yours does not have that, we can rule out 1857.

The Ames Model 1860 cavalry saber was made from 1857 to 1865. In general, the three line block style address was used in the earlier years. Later sabers were ususlly marked with the banner type marking, although both a three line address and an arched address are sometimes seen on late war sabers. Virtually all the sabers should have been stamped with a year date. Apparently though, those made for the first contract in 1857 had many flaws, almost half of the first 1000 inspected by A.D.King being rejected. Eventually 1000 sabers were were accepted and delivered in August 1857. Interesting enough, Thillmann reports that apparently those sabers delivered in 1857 are not dated and are considered rare. But a correct 1857 saber should both A.D.K and R.H.K.W. inspector initials on the pommel tang dome. Capt. R.H.K.Whiteley was reassigned to Texas in March of 1858, so sabers after that date will not have his initials. Apparently there have been sabers reported where someone has intentionally removed a date on A.D. K. Inspected sabers hoping to pass them off as undated 1857 sabers. But having the R.H.K.W. initials on the pommel tang dome is the tell. Since yours does not have that, we can rule out 1857.

Wow - very informative - thanks. Can you educate me on the type of sword? Hickox book does not list an 1860 but has a Light Cavalry Sword being made 1858-1865. Is that the same to which you refer as the 1860 model? Also that book lists nothing for 1857 so perhaps you have a better reference source.

I looked again and there are no initials on the pommel and it does not appear to have been worn off but rather - never there (at least to my eye).

I like the information about the rejections. Perhaps the manufacturing guys got sick of the inspectors and the "3" means "look guys - this is the third and last attempt" ; )

Wow - very informative - thanks. Can you educate me on the type of sword? Hickox book does not list an 1860 but has a Light Cavalry Sword being made 1858-1865. Is that the same to which you refer as the 1860 model? Also that book lists nothing for 1857 so perhaps you have a better reference source.

I looked again and there are no initials on the pommel and it does not appear to have been worn off but rather - never there (at least to my eye).

I like the information about the rejections. Perhaps the manufacturing guys got sick of the inspectors and the "3" means "look guys - this is the third and last attempt" ; )
Yes, the Model 1860 is the light cavalry saber. Though called the Model 1860, it was actually first made in 1857. Some people have assumed they were first made in 1858 as that is the earliest ones found with dates on them.

Back