1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

A challenge debate thread.

Discussion in 'Civil War History - Secession and Politics' started by jgoodguy, May 9, 2015.

1. NedBaldwin

NedBaldwin Captain

Sorry if I misses the explanation already, but can you explain "Supplemental statement posts and rebuttals in the format of a statement followed by a rebuttal." How many posts would this be? Sounds like each supplemental would entail 4 posts -- two statements, two rebuttals. How many supplementals can there be?

Also, how will the 3 audience questions be selected?

Anyway, I'm game for this.

peteanddelmar and jgoodguy like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. John Hartwell

John Hartwell Captain Forum Host

I think the danger is some of those members wanting their own input, and starting up a multitude of argumentative threads inspired by the "challenge debate" process. I really doubt it will reduce the number or the acrimony of 'dead end threads.'

peteanddelmar and JerseyBart like this.
  4. jgoodguy

jgoodguy Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Won't know until it is tried.

5. JerseyBart

JerseyBart Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

I don't think we're debating right now. Here's why...:D

peteanddelmar and Pat Answer like this.
  6. JerseyBart

If we can send threads to moderation and thread ban members, there certainly is a way to limit who can post on a debate thread to the participants, moderators and whatever panel judges it.

7. jgoodguy

Posts by non participants can be moved to a closed thread in moderated threads called "non participant posts" and the author thread banned with current tools.

W. Richardson and JerseyBart like this.
  8. JerseyBart

Sounds simple enough. Post a general warning/reminder and if you chime in, your post gets deleted and you get thread banned. The ban should be announced too so others see it and understand. Continued involvement in other debates earns that member warning points.

jgoodguy and W. Richardson like this.
  9. kevikens

kevikens 2nd Lieutenant

Is this the Lincoln-Douglas forensic format?

10. W. Richardson

W. Richardson Captain

So as to know we may or may not be on the same page...............lol.....What are some of the Civil War historical facts that are not debateable ? You don't have to list all, just a few will give us an idea.

Respectfully,

William

11. John Hartwell

John Hartwell Captain Forum Host

I was not concerned about posts to the debate by non-participants so much as about new threads begun by non-participants outside the debate, but inspired by remarks made in the debate thread.

But, as @jgoodguy says, "Won't know until it is tried."

peteanddelmar likes this.
  12. dvrmte

dvrmte Major

Questions:

How much time is allowed for each post. Some people aren't on a fixed schedule, I work swing shifts and have a farm to take care of. If I were agree to debate, it might take a day or more between posts.

Nothing against any of the other members but I prefer to work alone. Few people totally share my viewpoints.

How will coaching from the sidelines(via PM) be prevented? If not prevented, then an honest team of two might be facing a dishonest team of 'who knows how many'.

Ya'll have at it and we'll see how it goes.

13. jgoodguy

Where I have seen this done, threads commenting on the debate were allowed and were not disruptive.

Some members may take time to get used to the idea of speaking to the audience instead of beating on their opponents. Some may like beating on their opponents too much to do this type of debate.

14. James B White

James B White Captain Trivia Game Winner Honored Fallen Comrade

I like the idea and wouldn't mind participating, but like dvrmte, I'd find it easier to do alone. And also as he says, an allowance/deadline would be good, a day or so, so people have time to reply but also the debate doesn't come to a long awkward pause if a participant abandons it.

Another poster also mentioned the issue of debaters using extensive cut-and-paste of other sources. If that becomes a problem, a requirement that the majority has to be one's original words would be good.

15. NedBaldwin

NedBaldwin Captain

Is that something to be concerned about? New threads get started all the time here inspired by remark, rticles, etc.

peteanddelmar and JerseyBart like this.
  16. hanna260

hanna260 Sergeant Major

Could one just shut off PM for the time that you're doing the debate? And a deadline would be good, too.

Another question: would the poll be anonymous? Or if you voted for a member, would the members be able to see who you voted for? I could see some hurt feelings, if that was the case, or people just voting for their friends instead of who won.

17. jgoodguy

I want a minimum of rules. If one side abandons the debate, the members see it.

peteanddelmar likes this.
  18. jgoodguy

Polls are anonymous.

chellers and hanna260 like this.
  19. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

And there you have it. Let the debate itself not be judged. When it is finished, close it. There will be plenty of orbital discussion, but calling a winner -- however it might be done -- would just let the dogs out.

You obviously know something about forensics. I know nothing about that, but I do know that the winner is in the minds of the followers. You know that such a debate will be discussed endlessly on other threads. Just keep the debate clean and free of comment.

Great idea, by the way. Mano e mano. Time's up.

20. 1SGDan

1SGDan Captain

I have an issue with a poll being used as the arbiter of victory. There is no way to ensure one person =one vote. As we have seen here in the past posters can use multiple identities.

21. jgoodguy

The number of multiple identities as a percentage of the membership is low, less one in 100o.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)