Trivia 7-13-18 & Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia Master

The Keeper of Knowledge
Forum Host
What important photographer was referred to as "The Matthew Brady of the Confederacy" Some of his prominent works were of R.E. Lee & JEB Stuart.
Who was he?

credit: @JOHN42768

Bonus: Some people might say I was the inspiration of the movie character Katie Scarlett O’Hara (Gone with the Wind). My half-brother had something to do with shipping cotton and war supplies from Great Britain to the CSA and maybe he had something to do with the Lincoln assassination. My son was a U.S. president and Medal of Honor recipient. Who am I, who is my half-brother and who is my son?

credit: @Mike Serpa

George Bernard

Edit - George Barnard was the official photographer for William T. Sherman's Military Division of the Mississippi, but as such, he was employed by the Union, so he wouldn't have merited the title of Mathew Brady of the Confederacy.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
George Smith Cook

George Smith Cook worked steadily until his sudden death on November 27, 1902 at the age of 82. Although the majority of his photographs were not published during his lifetime, those that survived have been featured in several Civil War compilations including Divided We Fought and Images of War as well as in the volume Partners with the Sun, South Carolina Photographers 1840-1940 and in the biographical texts Shadows in Silver and Photographer Under Fire.

Friday Question:
I could find only one on-line source that mentioned a photographer who was "known as the Mathew Brady of the Confederacy" and that photographer's name was George Cook. A further search of Cook's photographs does not show any record of him having ever photographed Lee or Stuart although he was known for his photographs of Braxton Bragg, A. P. Hill, John Mosby and P. G. T. Beauregard, as well pictures of the people and buildings in the South . For these, he was commonly referred to as "the photographer of the Confederacy.
Sources: Fairfield Genealogical Society pg. 10
The Photographer of the Confederacy

A further search (and my answer) indicates that Julian Vannerson was best known for photographing Lee and Stuart but makes no mention of he being known as the Mathew Brady of the Confederacy "He is best known for his portrait photographs of Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and J.E.B. Stuart and Stonewall Jackson. Vannerson closed his business and sold his equipment at war's end."
Source: Photographers of the American Civil War

Friday Bonus:
1. Martha Stewart Bulloch (Roosevelt)
2. James D. Bulloch (Confederate Agent in England)
3. Theodore Roosevelt, Jr.

Photographer George Smith Cook, born in Connecticut, lived in New Orleans prior to the War.

Bonus: Martha Bulloch Roosevelt (born in Connecticut, died in New York City), half-brother to James Dunwoody Bulloch, and mother of Theodore Roosevelt.

What important photographer was referred to as "The Matthew Brady of the Confederacy" Some of his prominent works were of R.E. Lee & JEB Stuart.
Who was he?
credit: @JOHN42768
George Smith Cook (1819– 1902).

Bonus: Some people might say I was the inspiration of the movie character Katie Scarlett O’Hara (Gone with the Wind). My half-brother had something to do with shipping cotton and war supplies from Great Britain to the CSA and maybe he had something to do with the Lincoln assassination. My son was a U.S. president and Medal of Honor recipient. Who am I, who is my half-brother and who is my son?
credit: @Mike Serpa
Martha Stewart Bulloch (1835-1884), mother of President Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. (1858-1919). She was the half-sister of James Dunwoody Bulloch (1823-1901) who served as the rebel agent in Britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back