Trivia 3-23-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name the first 3 commissioners named at Shiloh National Military Park and the organizations they represented?

credit: @Ole Miss

The bill establishing the Park required that the Commission members each represent one of the Armies engaged in the battle. Thus Secretary of War Daniel Lamont selected David W. Reed, Don Carlos Buell, and Robert F. Looney.
Reed had fought as a member of the 12th Iowa Infantry and represented the Army of the Tennessee; Buell had commanded the Army of the Ohio and represented it; Robert F. Looney had fought as a member of the 38th Tennessee Infantry and represented the Army of the Mississippi.
To chair the Commission, Lamont selected Cornelius Cadle, who had fought as Adjutant of the 11th Iowa Infantry and also represented the Army of the Tennessee.
Reed also served as the Commission's Secretary and the Park Historian. James W. Irwin was appointed agent for the purchase of land.
At the Commission's first meeting on April 2, 1865, James M. Riddell was appointed clerk of the commission and Atwell Thompson was appointed Engineer.
Don Carlos Buell died on November 19, 1898, and Maj. J.H. Ashcraft, who had served with the Twenty-sixth Kentucky Volunteers, was appointed in his place. Col. Robert F. Looney died on November 19, 1899, and was replaced by Josiah Patterson, who had served with First Alabama Cavalry.
<Stacy W. Reaves, A History and Guide to the Monuments of Shiloh. (Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2012), pp. 28-30.>
<"Enabling Legislation and Commission Correspondence", 1913 Report of the Shiloh Military Park Commission. http://shilohbattlefield.org/commission/Pages/introduction/legislation.htm>

Edit - Since the entire post is in bold face, I can't pick out which three names were intended as the answer to the question. The way it looks to me, this response names four people: David W. Reed, Don Carlos Buell, Robert F. Looney, and Cornelius Cadle. The indicated source mentions Reed's name, but indicates that he was the commission's secretary and historian, which I don't think is the same thing as a commissioner.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Colonel Cornelius Cadle (May 1836 - 13 January 1913) of the Army of the Tennessee. He was Chairman of the Commission.
General Don Carlos Buell (23 March 1818 – 19 November 1898) of the Army of the Ohio
Colonel Robert F. Looney
(5 August 1824 – 19 November 1899) Confederate Army of the Mississippi
Source page 21

*Source: A HISTORY OF SHILOH NATIONAL MILITARY PARK TENNESSEE by Charles E. Shedd, Jr page 21

https://www.nps.gov/shil/learn/management/upload/Administrative.pdf

@hoosier I apparently forgot to put the answer with the source in my answers document. so you may score how you see fit for this question.

Edit - I can't get the link to work for me, but I am scoring the question on the assumption that Cornelius Cadle (Army of the Tennessee), Don Carlos Buell (Army of the Ohio), and Robert F. Looney (Confederate Army of the Mississippi) are the correct answers, which is what most of the players gave as their responses. I did not insist on inclusion of the word "the" in the names of the armies.

hoosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back