What is this? 1864 Springfield ???

Ed Mooney

Cadet
I have an 1864 Springfield that has modifications that has me puzzled. Dark walnut finish. The lock plate has the eagle with Springfield and the date of 1864. The sights appear to be for and 1863 type II Springfield. "EF" cartouche is stamped in the wood being Edward Flathers a period inspector/armorer. From there a few things change from an 1864 Springfield. The bolster doeen't have an eagle stamped on it. The barrel strap has the initials J.S.G. stamped and the date 1864. The barrel has both an S stamped which could just mean "Steel" and there is also a 'W" stamped on the side opposite the lock plate. I've only got a guess that the "W" may be for Whitney and the bolster looks similar to a period Whitney. Behind the trigger guard (not in front) is also stamped into the wood the initials J.S.G. and next to it appears to be a single letter maybe a "T". Any suggestions on what this is? My thinking is that is this a rifle that Whitney modified for Springfield to say that they could do it?? Or maybe some Confederate modification done by their armory or one that Whitney modified for them. Im just throwing this out for any help. Ed Mooney

I have an 1864 Springfield that has modifications that has me puzzled. Dark walnut finish. The lock plate has the eagle with Springfield and the date of 1864. The sights appear to be for and 1863 type II Springfield. "EF" cartouche is stamped in the wood being Edward Flathers a period inspector/armorer. From there a few things change from an 1864 Springfield. The bolster doeen't have an eagle stamped on it. The barrel strap has the initials J.S.G. stamped and the date 1864. The barrel has both an S stamped which could just mean "Steel" and there is also a 'W" stamped on the side opposite the lock plate. I've only got a guess that the "W" may be for Whitney and the bolster looks similar to a period Whitney. Behind the trigger guard (not in front) is also stamped into the wood the initials J.S.G. and next to it appears to be a single letter maybe a "T". Any suggestions on what this is? My thinking is that is this a rifle that Whitney modified for Springfield to say that they could do it?? Or maybe some Confederate modification done by their armory or one that Whitney modified for them. Im just throwing this out for any help. Ed Mooney
Photos would be very helpful.

Back