1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

1861 Springfield

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by Ricochet, May 12, 2018.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet Cadet

1861-4.JPG Hello to everyone. I have been reading the threads on this forum for a while and enjoying every minute. I've been an avid Civil War reader for years, and have a modest gun collection. I finally made the decision to buy an original Civil War rifle musket, and chose the 1861 Springfield as the one I wanted. I just got one dated 1862, and I thought I would share a few photos of it. The rifling is excellent as is the wood. 1861-5.JPG 1861-1.jpg 1861-3.jpg I am curious about the rear sight. It looks very old to me and has some surface pitting pretty much evenly on its exposed surfaces. I cannot see a 3 or a 5 on the two leaves. I looked closely with a jewelers loupe. There is a block M stamped on the left side of the sight base. Overall this musket is in very nice condition, and I am very happy with it. Sorry for the photos getting mixed up with the text.

Attached Files:

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. johan_steele

johan_steele Colonel Retired Moderator

Very nice. If you can give a close upshot of the rear sight we might have a better idea but it sounds like a legit rear site that was cleaned a little too much enthusiasm.

Cpl. Smith likes this.
  4. Cpl. Smith

Cpl. Smith Sergeant

More pictures. Awesome rifle. Bet the piggy bank is a little lighter!

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Cadet

Here is a photo of the rear sight, with a little bit of glare on it to show the surface detail. 1861-6.jpg

And yes, the piggybank is a little lighter than it was !

6. Cpl. Smith

Cpl. Smith Sergeant

Looks real to me but I'm not an expert on the 61 springfield. Someone with better knowlage will be along soon enough.

7. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Welcome. enjoy. Nice purchase

8. ewmail15

ewmail15 Corporal

Did all Springfield rear sight leafs have roll-pressed yardage numbers?

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Cadet

With a bit of Break Free and my fingernail I was able to get some of what I thought was pitting off of the surface of the sight leaves. Now, with a bit of imagination I think I might be able to see the extremely faint remnants of the 3 and the 5. But I am not sure. I do not know if all Springfield rear sights had yardage numbers. Hopefully someone will know.

10. vmicraig

vmicraig Private

Beautiful rifle - clean, crisp barrel markings, lockplate and cartouches. They don't get much cleaner than that. Downside is in that condition, it makes me wonder if it sat out the war in an armory rifle rack. Neither her nor there - pretty specimen you have there. The sights look correct.

11. ewmail15

ewmail15 Corporal

I picked up two 40x light-powered magnifying pieces - for $7 shipped on eBay. Opens up another world of fun with these oldies. One example was it saved me from ruining the tiny threaded rear sight screw on my Sharps, as the end of the thread had damage I couldn't see with my 4x. I aligned the thread for easy screw-in. Lots of worn/hidden roll-pressed markings became clear.

Does the rear sight have any model-matching markings, maybe on the underside? Condition match with the sight vs. the barrel and lockplate? Could it just be the metal for this and other rifle/carbine sights are just not heat treated and protected like the other parts (Damascus steel barrel?), and will simply be more susceptible to the elements?

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  12. mofederal

mofederal 1st Lieutenant

A great looking rifle, thanks for posting it @Ricochet.

13. WJC

WJC Moderator Moderator

Welcome! Beautiful piece! Thanks for sharing!

14. captaindrew

captaindrew 2nd Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Congrats on a very nice piece, thanks for sharing with us.

15. Larryh86GT

Larryh86GT Sergeant

Very nice piece.

16. plymouthairrifle

plymouthairrifle Private

Very nice musket! The condition of the rear sight just does not match the rest of the gun. I would pick up another original sight in better condition. Thanks for sharing photos of your Springfield with us.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet Cadet

Plymouth, I agree with you about the condition of the rear sight. I did get it cleaned up a bit after I sent the photo, but it still does not match the rest of the gun. I am working on getting one in better condition.

18. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

Welcome from THE Heart Of Dixie. Very nice Springfield. Thanks for sharing.

19. ewmail15

ewmail15 Corporal

Ricochet, if the screw loosens easily, maybe that's a sign it's not original. Still check the underside for any markings. Gunderson militaria or mcpheeters militaria might have a good condition sight, or eBay or GunBroker or gunsamerica.

20. originalrebelyell

originalrebelyell Sergeant

That is a nice one congratulations !!!

21. Badgercwcollector

Badgercwcollector Private

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)