1842 Springfield Markings Question

GF97

Private
Joined
Jun 6, 2025
I have an 1842 Springfield made in 47 that was rifled but not sighted. I've been looking over the thing for markings and have some curiosities. I am admittedly jumping from WW1 back to the civil war in arms collecting so I definitely have lots to learn on the detail side. There are very small M's stamped on the butt plate, side plate, and trigger housing. I also found on the breech plug a GA stamped into the back if it along with other small letters around the barrel and plug. Is it known what any of these mean or am I asking too much with the documentation that exists from that era?
 
The M on the side plate is hard to see but it is so small my camera can't do any better. The M is the same size and font on the three parts that I originally mentioned though. The M also appears to be on the breech plug near the tang.

IMG_1719.jpeg


IMG_1716.jpeg


IMG_1715.jpeg


IMG_1720.jpeg
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top