1816 bayonet

RSMorris

First Sergeant
Just ordered this 1816 Bayonet from Lodgewood. it's in a lot better shape than the Musket is.... :smile:

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 2.58.01 PM.png

Last edited:
Got this bayonet in from Lodgewood. It is in incredible good condition. I have a question though. When installed, the bayonet is fixed to the side of the barrel. Is this normal. It is also a but difficult to get it beyond the lug. Will go with some force but don't believe it should be that hard. I thought it would be fixed to be under the barrel. The bayonet is supposed to fit an 1816. My musket is an M1816 based though I believe it is a Type III. Would this be the reason. The bayonet lug on the barrel is on the top.

That is as intended, the bayonet should be to the right side when fixed to the muzzle, not underneath where it would interfere with the removal of the ramrod during loading. In addition, the bayonet needs to be off to the side so the soldiers could stack arms. A snug fit is probably intentional as you will note there is no locking ring to hold the bayonet in place once it is fixed to the muzzle. These were not machine made parts interchangeable arms so a bit of fitting to the barrel is also not uncommon or unexpected.

The .69 caliber bayonet was the same for the entire run of US 1816/22s. The bayonet lug was later moved underneath the barrel for the redesigned US 1835/40 muskets. This required a different bayonet configuration for the later models because the lug underneath the barrel would have the bayonet on the opposite side when fixed to the muzzle.

Last edited:
Back