WHITE HOUSE LANDING

Robert Gray

Sergeant Major
Army cooks at White House Landing, Pamunkey River, Va.
Photograph by Timothy O'Sullivan (National Archives)

4166063343_79a940ec76_o.jpg

This is a very fine image. Thank you for posting it. I would like to know more about what is in the background, the tall structures that look like smoke stacks. One of the men on the left looks like he is wearing a gray issue wool shirt. Actually several men look to be wearing them. There also more slouch hats than showing than anything else.

This is a very fine image. Thank you for posting it. I would like to know more about what is in the background, the tall structures that look like smoke stacks. One of the men on the left looks like he is wearing a gray issue wool shirt. Actually several men look to be wearing them. There also more slouch hats than showing than anything else.

Far background, we're looking at ships. It's a pretty cool collection, fair warning if you get into them, you'll get badly side tracked? On the Pamunkey River, remember at first, years ago, thinking it was THE White House. It's where George and Martha were married ( or nearby ), and burned when McClellen arrived- for some bizarre reason. You understand war but really, did that house have to go?

white house landing.JPG

No expert, men may be teamsters, drivers or watermen ( canal boats )? The landing was busy. You can see these tents from the river- sorry to be so nosy here, one of these boats is from Schuylkill County, PA. Had family building canal boats in Schuylkill County so get a kick out of this photo.

See the tents in the background? LoC, Civil War collection.

I see all kinds of ships and vessels. I can't believe they brought down canal boats. A lot of side paddle wheelers, masted ships and the like. there are probably some tugs in the mix too. I forgot about the White House burning. I have been by this area many times, but I was always more interested in other sites. Thanks for the image and post.

Noticed something else, behind the tents there is a rail yard complete with box cars and flat car loaded with boards and other building marteral. In between the box cars and the flat cars looks like a steam engine used maybe as power for a sawmill? Cutting the logs for the building marterals! :unsure:

Back