Which Research Tools do You Use

Paul Yancey

Sergeant
Recently a poster on this forum was kind enough to point me to Internet Archive in response to a question I earlier posted. I would like to know what other web resources people use in their Civil War research. For instance, what sites are best for finding information on individual soldiers, what sites are best for individual state information, what sites are best for books and publications, what sights are best for weapons, etc. Hopefully we can all join together and come up with a comprehensive list that we all can share. Please include web addresses if possible. For example, when I research I often use ancestry.com and the Kentucky Historical Society.

Recently a poster on this forum was kind enough to point me to Internet Archive in response to a question I earlier posted. I would like to know what other web resources people use in their Civil War research. For instance, what sites are best for finding information on individual soldiers, what sites are best for individual state information, what sites are best for books and publications, what sights are best for weapons, etc. Hopefully we can all join together and come up with a comprehensive list that we all can share. Please include web addresses if possible. For example, when I research I often use ancestry.com and the Kentucky Historical Society.

http://civilwardata.com/

I often use Archives.org to locate out of print regimental histories I do not have in my own personal library. State libraries and archives are very valuable sources of information. Michigan State University is also a very good archive for finding soldier's diaries and letters. David.

It really depends on what exactly you are searching for. I have used Archives.org a great deal. But I also use Ancestry and Fold3 for individual information. I also have subscriptions to Newspapers.com and at one time browsed Newspaperarchives. Of course, the LOC site, Chronicling America for other newspapers. I have used various Historical Society sites, like KHS and Kentucky Military History Museum. I have also used a number of personal sites as well.

So with all that said, I do not think there is any one place that has everything you may be seeking. It will be a mass conglomeration of sites.

We have a great link https://civilwartalk.com/link-directory/ thats is loaded with info. As stated above it depends on what area you are reseraching. All states have archives (most digitized) where you can find a lot of great info on state CW topics. The LOC has some great resources. CW soldiers info I use Fold3 and state records. Bottom line there is a lot of info on the ole interweb. You just need to know where to look.

By specific subject, look here:

Historical museums, U.S. and State history archives, library archives, university archives, consult with historians (ask for names and contact info at museums and archives), and read widely and amass a library on the subject matter. Online, I use Google, including downloadable Google Books, visit battlegrounds and specific historical sites.

When researching and writing my Civil War book (see my signature below), I discovered the migration route of my ancestors by visiting libraries and history museums, studying ancient maps, consulting historians, and then drove the route. I looked for traces of old roads through forests which still appear along today's highways, and buildings which were standing during that era. After consulting by email, archivists and historians in Great Britain, I traveled to Wales to search out the family origins.

When I wrote my book, I found that visiting specific battlefield parks yielded a wealth of information. Each national battlefield park has a research library and microfilm collection. You have to make an appointment with the chief historian to gain access. They also have spec sheets on everything they have on display. I built a nice camp desk from the spec sheet of a desk from an Ohio unit at the Chickamauga Battlefield museum.

When I wrote my book, I found that visiting specific battlefield parks yielded a wealth of information. Each national battlefield park has a research library and microfilm collection. You have to make an appointment with the chief historian to gain access. They also have spec sheets on everything they have on display. I built a nice camp desk from the spec sheet of a desk from an Ohio unit at the Chickamauga Battlefield museum.
Thanks for the information. Have you shown a picture of your desk on this forum?

When I wrote my book, I found that visiting specific battlefield parks yielded a wealth of information. Each national battlefield park has a research library and microfilm collection. You have to make an appointment with the chief historian to gain access. They also have spec sheets on everything they have on display.
I have done research at Yorktown and Richmond (Chimborazo) and would love to do research at Vickburg. Yorktown was mostly colonial but they do have a bit of information on the Civil War.

Back