Where is it Wednesday, Gettysburg?

MRB1863

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Where is this...
DSCF0430.JPG

I am here. Being retired, I am dealing with Ipad winter burnout. Just not posting as much as I normally do.

The ALCoble rocks don't have asphalt next to them. There is a small tree right behind the Coble carving (branch hit me in the eye last November as I was bushwacking through to the carving) but those aren't the Coble rocks.

I can't tell if that asphalt is from a path or road. But because the asphalt is so close to the rocks, I am assuming it is an asphalt path. So my guess is Little Round Top. LRT has both large rocks and asphalt paths so that is my only logic on my guess.

These close crop photos are difficult to pin down locations. While I have been to Gettysburg more than most, I am normally looking at notes or trying to remember what action occurred in the area. Therefore details such as specific rock formations aren't burnt into my memory bank. There are so many large rocks in the Culp's Hill and southern end of the battlefield. If the rocks aren't tied to something interesting (Wheeler rock, trough Rock, Coble rock, Acheson rock, Oates rock, Split Rock - list goes on, but you get my drift), I tend to blow right by them.

My first thought was Culp's Hill but that asphalt made me change my mind. Looking forward to see where the location is. Looks like everyone is struggling with this one.

Next time you are in Gettysburg, drive in back of Spangler's Spring a short distance on Geary Avenue. Look to your right along the brim of the road. You will see this formation. Stay tuned for next week's photo!

Well I'll be. I rarely drive up Geary Avenue these days. I almost always go up Culp's via Slocum Avenue. I will check it out on my next trip. Thanks for posting it.

Back