When & where was the 2nd national confusing?

If you know one thing about the 2nd national its that it was replaced because when hanging limp in the wind it could be mistaken for a flag of truce with the canton either concealed in its folds or obscured from a distance. Hence why it had to be updated to the 3rd national shortly before the end of the war. But every time I hear and see this story recounted I never seem to hear specifics. Does anyone have knowledge, documents, etc of specific engagements where the 2nd national was mistaken for a flag of surrender? If anyone does I'd love to read it, thanks.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Welcome! You are right, those are details usually left out. I'm eager to see what information our more knowledgeable members can provide.
Meanwhile, I look forward to your perspective in our discussions! Enjoy!

rebelatsea

1st Lieutenant
In Naval terms, British ships in 1864 were differentiated into
Warships flying the white ensign,
Merchant vessels flying the red ensign,
Subventioned vessels and those merchant vessels commanded by naval reserve officers flying the blue ensign.
(That's why Titanic should properly be depicted with a blue ensign aft - not only was she subventioned as a mail carrier, but Captain Smith was a naval reserve Commander).
The Confederate 2nd national ensign could then easily be mistaken at sea for an RN flag or vice versa.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!