1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Were Confederate Generals Traitors?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - Secession and Politics' started by Rebforever, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Rebforever

Rebforever Captain

Were Confederate Generals Traitors? by Walter Williams.

"My "Rewriting American History" column of a fortnight ago,generated considerable mail. Some argued there should not be statues honoring traitors such as Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Jefferson Davis, who fought against the Union. Victors of wars get to write the history, and the history they write often does not reflect the facts. Let's look at some of the facts and ask: Did the South have a right to secede from the Union? If it did, we can't label Confederate generals as traitors."

https://www.creators.com/read/walter-williams/06/17/were-confederate-generals-traitors

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Lt. Colonel

Post Civil War ex Confederate generals were not considered traitors. Former Confederate General Wheeler was technically the commander of U.S. troops in Cuba during the Spanish-American War. Wheeler during one battle against the Spanish said something to the effect that he thought he was still fighting the Yankees.
    Former Confederate General Longstreet commanded milita against the Red Shirts in Louisiana. Longstreet was also appointed Minister to the Ottoman Empire.
    Former Confederate General Alexander Porter was appointed to a diplomatic position in Nicaragua.
    As for the legality of secession that matter as already been addressed by Texas v White. If the author wishs he can try to get the American people to support a counstiutional amendment to allow states in the future to more easily secede.
    Leftyhunter

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
  4. Canadian

Canadian Corporal

I always find it very strange that John Brown was the only one hanged for treason.

Perhaps they should have been, but I want to trust Lincoln's judgment on "Let 'em up easy." He thought that forgiveness was the best path to peace.

You could have a whole debate on what would have happened to the country had there been harsher penalties, like hangings.

5. jgoodguy

jgoodguy Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

As moderator.
    Closed pending review for modern monument discussion prohibition.

6. jgoodguy

As moderator.
    Reopened for business in Secession and Politics.
    References to monuments removed and do not discuss monuments

7. gem

gem Sergeant Major

One man’s traitor is another man’s freedom fighter.

8. jgoodguy

The so called secession was a rebellion and thus anyone fighting for the CSA especially as a general is prima facia a traitor during the rebellion. Everyone after the war got a pardon. No general was prosecuted under municipal law as a traitor and traitor is not recognized in the main by military law.

The South had a right to secede, but chose rebellion instead of negotiation and in doing so chose trial by combat instead of political or judicial resolution and upon failure of victory utterly lost the issue.

9. jgoodguy

16oQL_s-200x150.gif

10. wausaubob

wausaubob 2nd Lieutenant

Going down that path is divisive.
    Going down that path creates a division like France against Germany.
    More to the purpose of the argument, it creates a division like the Reds against the Whites in post-Revolutionary Russia.
    Permanent Civil War and permanent loyalty politics creates its own winners and losers and leads directly to modern politics.

11. jgoodguy

Could be, but the folks passionately interested in secession have gray hair, those who are not interested have smart phones.

12. wausaubob

wausaubob 2nd Lieutenant

They had a right, but the right probably had to exercised by a constitutional convention of big shots.
    The big shots from Kentucky and Missouri probably say, wait, we don't want to be cutoff from the Midwest. The big shots from New York starting worrying about all those mortgages. All the banks that made multi-year loans are pretty worried.
    The New England textile companies begin to focus on one state like Arkansas or Tennessee and make it clear that a state that starts providing tenant produced cotton is going to have a head start.
    Armed elections break out in Missouri, Maryland and Virginia anyway, unless the body guards for the big shots start the war at the constitutional convention.

13. CSA Today

CSA Today Colonel

Especially in light of Lincoln's known willingness to recognized Confederate independence as long as Southerners used the right semantics and sought Northern approval. :nah disagree:

14. archieclement

archieclement Sergeant

The whole traitor thing as an excuse to try to erase part of history is ironic to me......We were founded on treason.....So any of the founding fathers who advocated or fought for treason we should remove all traces of? Those silly Texans who thought they should be independent of Mexico......do away with any trace of them?

And it does seem divisive to suggest half of the country has no right to honor their forefathers, history, and heritage.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  15. O' Be Joyful

O' Be Joyful First Sergeant

Old time Hockey! Rodney Dangerfield style. :wink:

Aussie Billy Sherman likes this.
  16. wausaubob

wausaubob 2nd Lieutenant

I am the northerner, like Lincoln. My position is that I don't want a war over secession and slavery. I suggest that everyone study the Crimean War. My question is are you sure its going to be short and glorious?
    My position: slavery has to end by January 1, 1900, and there was to be a 5% decrease in slaves by 1868.
    You can have slavery in New Mexico. I want slavery ended in D.C. and the repeal of the Fugitive Slave Act.
    I'll dredge the harbor in Galveston and throw major funding behind a railroad from Vicksburg to Monroe, LA to Shreveport, LA to Marshall, TX. What is your counter offer?

17. jgoodguy

So how many days was Lincoln President before the headstrong impulsive aristocratic slave owner used to having ultimate power over men and contemptuous of Northern citizens CSA president with a painful eye ache opened fire?

18. wausaubob

wausaubob 2nd Lieutenant

Furthermore, I'll offer a 10% subsidy for cotton sold out of a state that abolishes slavery and impose a 10% tax on slave produced cotton, under the commerce clause.

Aussie Billy Sherman likes this.
  19. truthckr

truthckr 2nd Lieutenant

I'm a pro South sympathizer, but, as a veteran and patriot, I believe everyone who took up arms against the union was a traitor. Mr. Lincoln, along with Gen Grant et al, saw fit to pardon their former foes.

20. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Lt. Colonel

Was such a subsidy ever proposed?
    Leftyhunter

21. jgoodguy

I think a State has a right to leave the Union under the Constitution and peacefully. So what?

Looks like the secessionists are in there with ghosts and creationists and not far a head of UFOs

According to a 2009 Harris Poll of 2,303 adult Americans, when people are asked to “Please indicate for each one if you believe in it, or not,” the following results were revealing:
    • 42% believe in ghosts
    • 40% believe in creationism
    • 32% believe in UFOs
    • 26% believe in astrology
    • 23% believe in witches
    • 20% believe in reincarnation

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)