Edged Wpns Warnock & Co?

bayonet

Sergeant Major
Anyone have any info on this Company out of New York, Warnock & Co? It's on my 1850 Field Sword
Warnock & Co.jpeg

Warnock & Co (Warnock Uniform Company) established in 1838, out of business around 1947. They listed mostly caps and uniforms, no mention of weapons. This from "Directory of American Military Goods Dealers & Makers", combined edition. They probably imported your sword from Solingen, Germany.

In order to date it, which I believe its post war, what are the other etchings on the blade?

From the etching I have to stand corrected, as with the Stand By The Union I believe it is indeed a CW period sword. On the market being flooded, Officers had to buy their own swords and pistols so its not like there was a flood of them on the market as with swords that were contracted by the government. Nice piece.

I have not seen anything like this etch design before. The treatment of the arrows and olive sprigs in the eagle's talons is really unique. I wonder who made it?
Me too. At first from just the Warnock marking I thought post war as you don't see many Warnock's, so when I got him to post the rest the etching, it screams CW period. Ive seen that nightcap logo on some CW tokens.

Oh there is more. Check out the top of the blade, it has that pointed leaf design. It travels half way down the top of the blade. I have a Collins & Horstmann 1850s and they do not have that on top of the blade.
warnock6.jpeg
Warnock7.jpeg

The French often etch the spine of their blades with such leaf designs. I have a Horstmann French Mle 1821 Infantry officer-style sword made for the American market with such marking of the spine. (Of course. so do same German blades. This, however, closely resembled my Mle1821.)

Back