Wade Hampton right after the war?

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I've got a good biography of Wade Hampton, but it's not accessible at the moment, or I'd see what it says. I know he lived primarily in South Carolina and was seen as a leader there, though he was not always willingly involved in politics for much of that time. He had lost most of his money in the war and was busy trying to deal with debts and his time was probably split between SC and Mississippi I believe, where he had owned some land. He liked to hunt and did some hunting up in North Carolina during those years.

What was Wade Hampton up to between 1865 and 1876? Where did he live? Any details would be appreciated.
This article about Wade Hampton provides some details:

As to where he lived immediately after the war:

1592492700296.png

Source , page 97

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Looking through some credible newspaper reports, here is a little of what Hampton did immediately after the war:

- wrote a letter to the New York Day Book on June 19th, disputing Sherman's official report on the burning of Columbia and accused Sherman of burning the city
- Hampton was nominated to the convention to draw up a new Constitution for South Carolina
- he wrote a public letter, advising his fellow citizens to take the oath of allegiance to restore law and order, agriculture and commerce. Having lost the war, to "save any of our rights" required the best men to be included in civil government, and that required taking the oath.

There's an house in Columbia, right near the Business school, that he owned. Its now used as apartments. right down the street from where he's buried.
Curious as to where this house is located, what is the name of the Business school you mentioned? Do you know the street and address of this house?

rbasin

2nd Lieutenant
Wow has that uni grown since the 90s. It was one street over from the Darla Moore business building. I lived in what i think is called the south tower, and it was either on that side street or the next one over. Had a historical marker. I was in there once for something.

Florida Rebel

Private
General Wade Hampton, later a wonderful US Senator and Governor, was one of the bravest and finest leaders the South had. And by the way, he was 10 times the man and leader Sherman ever was. It's such a shame that Sherman and his Union army did what he did and wantonly burned and destroyed anything he wanted to in SC and GA. Did he really feel the need to make war on so many innocent and defenseless civilians? Like that really shortened the war? It didn't. "Time" most always, eventually heals people's bad feelings. But in the case of the South, this took a lot of time to happen.

rbasin

2nd Lieutenant
General Wade Hampton, later a wonderful US Senator and Governor, was one of the bravest and finest leaders the South had. And by the way, he was 10 times the man and leader Sherman ever was. It's such a shame that Sherman and his Union army did what he did and wantonly burned and destroyed anything he wanted to in SC and GA. Did he really feel the need to make war on so many innocent and defenseless civilians? Like that really shortened the war? It didn't. "Time" most always, eventually heals people's bad feelings. But in the case of the South, this took a lot of time to happen.

Ok

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Further details of what Wade Hampton was involved in right after the war in the fall of 1865:

The daily phoenix. [volume] (Columbia, S.C.) 1865-1878, August 02, 1865
Sqk3scy.jpg

Alexandria gazette. [volume] (Alexandria, D.C.) 1834-1974, August 29, 1865
XUTrpt0.jpg

Last edited: