Discussion Virtual Map: Civil War Everyday

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

jackt62

1st Lieutenant
It does move very quickly, but overall the map provides a good time lapse showing how federal forces slowly but persistently drove southward and cut the confederacy into segments. I hope I'm not being too picky, but some of the movements in southeastern Tennessee during and after the Chattanooga campaign may not properly indicate Union advances.

alan polk

2nd Lieutenant
It does move very quickly, but overall the map provides a good time lapse showing how federal forces slowly but persistently drove southward and cut the confederacy into segments. I hope I'm not being too picky, but some of the movements in southeastern Tennessee during and after the Chattanooga campaign may not properly indicate Union advances.
That’s not picky. There is a lot going on. It was interesting to me watching Sherman’s Meridian Expedition and the Red River Campaign pop up, grow, then rescind. Neat.

Cavalry Charger

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
That was fascinating! The old adage 'divide and conquer' immediately comes to mind when you see the splitting of the Confederate states with Union troop movements. And there seems to be so little 'invasion' overall, more strategic manouevres which provide the final victory. With a focus on the main battles, it's probably far from comprehensive in that sense. It does seem to take a long time for those manouevres to actually achieve anything though. The border states were lost rapidly at the start of the war, as were the Confederate states after Lee's surrender at Appomattox, so it was interesting to see that sequence of events in this timeline. Thanks for sharing.

alan polk

2nd Lieutenant
That was fascinating! The old adage 'divide and conquer' immediately comes to mind when you see the splitting of the Confederate states with Union troop movements. And there seems to be so little 'invasion' overall, more strategic manouevres which provide the final victory. With a focus on the main battles, it's probably far from comprehensive in that sense. It does seem to take a long time for those manouevres to actually achieve anything though. The border states were lost rapidly at the start of the war, as were the Confederate states after Lee's surrender at Appomattox, so it was interesting to see that sequence of events in this timeline. Thanks for sharing.
You’re welcome. I’m glad you enjoyed it. It really does put a lot of things in perspective. Like you said, it takes a long time for the maneuvering to achieve anything.

DaveBrt

2nd Lieutenant
This program shows the path of Sherman's march to Savannah and again to Raleigh as being "Union." While the railroads were torn up and Columbia burned, the rest of the path (except occupied Savannah) reverted to Confederate as soon as the Union army marched away. The south expended great effort to restore the Georgia railroads and return normal function to local cities and towns temporarily occupied by Sherman. Of course, this error is not unique to this production -- it is normal on almost all maps.