1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Vicksburg Advice

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by Greg Taylor, Mar 27, 2016.

1. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

Ima do that for sure.

chellers likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. bdtex

Is there anything at Chickasaw Bluffs,Snyder's Bluff or Haynes' Bluff?

4. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

That sounds like a good itinerary. One day devoted to the National Park & USS Cairo with next day devoted to Grand Gulf, Port Gibson & Raymond.

On Saturday, I would recommend taking Hwy 61 South down to Port Gibson/Grand Gulf ( be sure to try to see the Windsor ruins while you're in the Port Gibson area).

After that, I would recommend taking the Natchez Trace Parkway up to Raymond.
    It's about thirty five miles at 50 mph, but well worth it. There's historic & natural sites along the way with a good chance of seeing much wildlife. It's a very therapeutic drive . . . unless there's a bicycle marathon underway. :smoke:

No must sees or must eats along that portion of I-20, that I can recommend.
    I would suggest going on to Vicksburg and using that time in Park/USS Cairo.

Although the Vicksburg NMP is much smaller than others, Gettysburg for example. It's also been called one of the nation's greatest "art parks". Many monuments, statues, ect.

In other words, there's a lot to see in a compact area. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    James N. and chellers like this.
  5. 7th Mississippi Infantry

I'm afraid not.

There are a couple of roadside markers, but that's about it.

Edited to add:

The terrain at Highway 61 North at the Yazoo River is virtually unchanged since the War, This is where the flat Mississippi Delta meets the Vicksburg bluffs.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    chellers likes this.
  6. chellers

chellers Brigadier General Moderator Trivia Game Winner

Thanks for your comments, 7th. Is there a good place to eat in Vicksburg, cuisine doesn't matter but of course I would prefer Cajun or seafood? A good hamburger/fries would work, too.

7. huskerblitz

huskerblitz Captain Forum Host

As noted above, not a lot. However, the terrain is much the same as it was back in 1862 and the road that DeCourcy traveled down is still there (only paved now). The sign is along the highway but you can turn up Chickasaw Road and travel to the areas where the Federals disembarked on their way south towards the bluffs. If you drive the route (pickup the Vicksburg Campaign Driving Tour Guide from the park) and it will not take very long. But it gives you a good sense of what the Union was up against in that battle. I would say it is definitely worth the drive and the half hour or hour if you stop to take photos. Keep in mind, however, most of the land is private property so stay along the road side.

8. 7th Mississippi Infantry

Vicksburg has a lot of good restaurants.

My favorites are: The Walnut Hills Restaurant, Rusty's Riverfront Grill, Main Street Market and KJ's Rivertown.

alan polk, chellers and huskerblitz like this.
  9. bdtex

Would that be Business 61?

10. bdtex

Chickasaw Road is on the west side of Chickasaw Bayou correct?

chellers likes this.
  11. bdtex

If any native Vicksburgers wanna hook up while I'm there,even if it's just for dinner,private message me.

chellers likes this.
  12. chellers

Thanks bunches, 7th. You are very helpful, as usual.

13. huskerblitz

huskerblitz Captain Forum Host

Yes, skirts along the west side of the bayou off HWY 61 and heads north parallel to Chickasaw Road.

14. 7th Mississippi Infantry

Yes and no.

"Business 61" will eventually intersect with the new "Hwy 61 north" that crosses the Yazoo River.

Once on the "new" Hwy 61, continue north to state highway 3 north of the village of Redwood and turn right.
    That will take you along the Confederate lines connecting the earthworks at Snyder's, Haynes' & Dromgoole's Bluffs.

My G G Grandad was in reserve at Camp Milldale (behind these fortifications) during the early phase of the Vicksburg campaign. A few years ago I took a trip up this highway to see if anything was left.

Nothing.

Only one ancient marker on a little highway "stop".

From what I recall there was more about the 1719 French Fort St. Pierre site than the Confederate Yazoo River defenses.

Sorry if I sound negative, but I'm trying to recommend where to make the most of your brief time time while in the Vicksburg area.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    chellers likes this.
  15. bdtex

Thanks. I was just curious. I have the NPS brochure and it shows Bus 61 and new Hwy 61 north. I am staying at the LaQuinta Inn which is fairly close to Hwy 61 North I think. Doubt I would have time for that this trip anyway. The drive on Chickasaw Road that huskerblitz suggested sounds interesting but I don't know that there will be time for that either.

16. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

This thread included my experiences concerning visiting Vicksburg and its environs: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/touring-the-vicksburg-and-port-hudson-campaign-sites.125307/ This is the latest of several I've posted concerning the park itself: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/return-to-vicksburg-nmp.87568/ This one covers in part the town, including Pemberton's headquarters: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/vicksburgs-nineteenth-century-crawford-street-enclave.87239/ Another thread deals with Raymond: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/photos-of-the-raymond-battlefield.90805/ As for other sites along the way to Vicksburg, other than the unrelated spot where Bonnie and Clyde were ambushed and killed by the FBI, the only thing I can think of is this: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/kate-stone-of-brokenburn.87144/

[​IMG]

17. bdtex

Thank you for the links. I'd already seen some of those threads but not all of them.

18. chellers

Thanks so much, James, for reminding me about those threads.
    They will be quite helpful. :thumbsup:

James N. likes this.
  19. alan polk

alan polk First Sergeant

20. 7th Mississippi Infantry

chellers likes this.
  21. bdtex

I am hoping to dine there the Thursday night that I'll be in Vicksburg. I know I'll be tired by then.

chellers likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)