Using a Danish sidevåben (sidearm) M/1854...

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
So a few month ago I finally got a sidevåben M/1854.
sidevåben-M1854-o-01.JPG

Between the 3 year war in 1848-1850 (where the "german" population of the Duchies of Sleswig and Holstein had rebelled against the Danish government) and the 2nd war in 1864 (against Prussia and Austria) the danish army looked at its experience and did some reorganization and a lot of updating of equipment and drill and regulations.

Before the war every infantryman was armed with a infantry saber. (that is a weapon made for combat)
In 1854 it was decided to issue a sidearm that was better suited for its main use as a tool.

The army was then in a procession of a large number of different sabers, hirchfängers and so on.
This model was a copy of the prussian model 1840, that is based on the french model 1831.
(Just like the american Model 1832 foot artillery sword is based on the french sidearm)

The rebels had used large numbers of this type, so in the end it was decided to make this the standard infantry sidearm, simply because the army had captured sufficient numbers (after repairs the total number was 25.760) of them to arm all men in the standing army with it.
(The life guard battalion, got a saber based on a Prussian model. Again arms captured from the rebels)

With the mobilization the danish army in 1864 ended up having about 32.000 privates and under-corporals under arms, so older models (M/32 and M/34) was issued to the older men from the reinforcement.

We usually portrait men from the 3rd regiment during the battle of Als and thanks to a number of photographs taken a few days before the battle we know that they did have a mix of the m/54 and the older models.

I would have liked to get one of the older, by they usually cost 3 time more so I ruled that out

Since they where issued as tools, and almost never used in combat (and hand-to hand combat at reenactments is not something we do) I had a few options.
If I just wanted something that I could carry as a "prop" I could get a replica of a us M/1832 artillery sword or buy a very cheap french m/1831, with a blade in poor conditions that I found in a danish online store.

But in the end I decided to get something that I could actually use as a tool.. so for a year I have been looking for one that was in a condition where it can be used... but not so good that it would be too expensive and one that was not marked as having been used during the war.

And a few month ago I finally found one. Got it with a scabbard at a lower price than what they usually cost without one and it is in a ok shape with the blade still a bit sharp.
:smile:

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
Back in February my wife and I moved into a small house. (build in 1867)

And there is a good deal of plants, brushed and small trees to remove from the garden. So I have been doing that over the last week by cutting everything down with what I think is actually a wirecutter"... but it get the job done.

But today I got to a small tree that was too big for the cutter. And since I don't have an axe or a saw... I ended up using my sidearm.

As I mentioned above it was issued as a tool.
Specifically to be used to cut parts true brush lines, to cut firewood, and made baskets for fortifications.
And it is my plan to use it for this at our events, so it was nice to test it out at home.

59286132_10219393653416889_2127353428341424128_n.jpg