Unusual Chain

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
chain1.jpg

I've found lots of chains while metal detecting but nothing quite like this.

chain2.jpg

This apparatus appears to be made of a tin or aluminum alloy with the number "24" on the face of it. My wife thinks it probably went to a strong box and I should go back and look for the loot. In all serious, though, could this be a chain that secured railroad merchandise or bank items? I just don't have any clue and its really got my curiosity up. Let me know any thoughts....Thanks for looking!

View attachment 409030
I've found lots of chains while metal detecting but nothing quite like this.

View attachment 409031
This apparatus appears to be made of a tin or aluminum alloy with the number "24" on the face of it. My wife thinks it probably went to a strong box and I should go back and look for the loot. In all serious, though, could this be a chain that secured railroad merchandise or bank items? I just don't have any clue and its really got my curiosity up. Let me know any thoughts....Thanks for looking!
How big is it? Its hard to tell in the photo but knowing the size would be helpful in opining potential uses.

it looks to me like it's used to identify livestock - like on a dairy farm to allow them to track milk production.
You are correct. I just heard from another source that this is definitely a cow tag. These type of tags that hung around the necks of the cows were early ways in which farmers/ranchers would tag their cows. Thanks again for the response.

I have agree with @drezac on the live stock chain as I have found the number plates before in what was once a feed lot that was top of a yankee camp and being aluminum way post CW.

Well.... if you think about it, there's probably not very many people any more who have even been on a dairy farm to have seen them. :cow:
I only knew of the plastic tags that they put through their ears....From what I've read, these neck chains probably go back to the early part of the 20th century. I learn something new every day...lol

Back