Unknown bugle origins

Phogan87

Private
Joined
Sep 1, 2019
We're going through my father-in-law's stuff and ran across this bugle. I was wondering if there's anybody who had any insight as to the country of origin and the time period it originates. I really do appreciate any help that you can provide.

IMG_0992.webp


IMG_0993.webp


IMG_0994.webp
 
Just as a follow up… I've tried to do a lot of research, but there's been so much conflicting information. Some state Civil War… Some say it's not. Some say World War I… Some say it's not. Again, I would really appreciate any help that's out there.
 
To me the mouthpiece looks like a more modern item put into an older bugle ... Sometimes there are manufacturers markings on the shank of the mouthpiece which might date it ...As for the bugle itself l can`t help, sorry
 
I have one exactly like that. I bought it at Fall Creek sutlery in the mid-1990s. Brass develops an antique patina pretty quickly. Even though I actually play mine fairly often, it looks like that. It came with a small, very conical french horn-like mouthpiece which I found difficult to play. Bought modern trumpet mouthpiece from a brass repair guy for $4 and solved the problem. I bet this bugle has a similar story.
 
There is a guy on my retirement park who was a bugler in the light division, May I send him the photos to see if he can shed any light. or should that be notes ?
 
I REALLY appreciate it. The bugle is approximately 12 inches long and the bell is 4 inches wide. The "height" is about 7 inches. I was guessing this thing is World War I but somebody brought up the possibility that's reproduction… Never considered that. There are no markings on it whatsoever. I know the mouthpiece looks odd however that makes me think that it is original to some timeframe and someone tried to Frankenstein it together. Seems that if it was a modern reproduction that mouthpiece would still be there.

IMG_1026.webp


IMG_1027.webp


IMG_1028.webp


IMG_1029.webp
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top