Uniforms

C

crowbar

Uniforms

At the start of the war uniforms in a staggering variety of cuts and colors appeared on both sides

Awhile back, I purchased a Union Officer's Shell Jacket, called a Furlough Jacket. It has a single row of brass buttons with an eagle on each button. It is like the jacket that John Pelham has on in one in one of his photos. Was it really called a "Furlough Jacket?

I have a couple Time Life books, called, "Echoes of Glory" Each book shows the different weapons, uniforms and other equipment. The Book on the confederacy, It shows the different types of uniforms that were bought, issued, or sent from home. Two particular uniforms that caught my eye was a frock coat and trousers that were made of bed ticking and another uniform made of jean cloth. Pretty much of the uniforms of the enlisted men were mostly butternut. Could you imagine a soldier on the march, dressed in what looks like a mattress?

I have seen the term "veteran jacket" used. The theory being when enlisted men veterans and received their reenlistment bonus and furlough, they would buy a jacket from a civilian source to wear home. .I do believe this is a modern term and I have not seen it used during the Civil War

Awhile back, I purchased a Union Officer's Shell Jacket, called a Furlough Jacket. It has a single row of brass buttons with an eagle on each button. It is like the jacket that John Pelham has on in one in one of his photos. Was it really called a "Furlough Jacket?

I think you will find this old thread of interest.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/civil-war-virginia-uniform.115779/

This is the famous image of Pelham wearing his West Point furlough frock coat.

lf.jpg

Back