Uniforms as seen in postcards.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Here is an older card from a set.
postcsard 1.jpg

The process used back then provided vivid color but not real accurate colors. The artist probably use someone's original work. The red of the jacket is a little too much to take. Even although there are some issues I like like this set.

A somewhat newer set of uniform postcards.
postcard 2.jpg

This is better than the first one. Dick S. von Schriltz i a fairly good artist. I like this set.

This postcard is more about the flags than the uniforms.
postcard 3.jpg

Are both this soldiers cavalry? based on the uniform trim they are Again I am not sure this postcard is about the uniforms.

I am not sure this newer postcard is about the uniforms or commemorating the 5th New York Volunteer Infantry.
postcard 4.jpg

The uniforms are well done. Note how short one office's frock coat is and how long one officer's frock coat is (elow the knees).

The postcard below is from I/R Miniatures and were included with the model soldier figure to use as a painting guide.
postcar 6.jpg

This card came with one of the four figures shown by the postcard. I guess once the figure was painted the painting guide these could be used as a postcard. The back of the card looks just like a regular postcard.

Last edited:
These images look really familiar..I want to say we have a book or two on uniforms upstairs? Maybe I’ve seem them elsewhere too. Hmmm..

Back