Uniform Tips

Joe6112

Cadet
Hello,
I am a member of SUVCW and looking for a uniform. Probably just a standard private uniform and hoping to get some good tips and places to purchase from. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you!

The Regimental Quartermaster out of Gettysburg is a great place to start, regtqm.com. They have a great variety in stock unless you need an unusual size and they offer budget line items to campaigner grade stuff from some of the best custom makers like WW&Company if you want to spend a little more. If they have it in stock they ship right away and you get it in a few days. I've also ordered things from Blockade Runner if you want to check them out. Oh and welcome to the forum!

I would second captaindrew with Regimental Quartermaster. My unit used the sack coat for the Union Cavalry impression. RQ's example felt softer and had more weight than those of my buddies from other vendors. For this reason I ordered a made to measure jean cloth shell jacket from RQ. They were friendly and helpful when I had questions. Items arrived as ordered,on time,on price.

Hello,
I am a member of SUVCW and looking for a uniform. Probably just a standard private uniform and hoping to get some good tips and places to purchase from. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you!
Try Dirty Billy's right there in Charleston, at least you can get a piece of headgear there. You may get lucky and find Mr. Wickham at that location. Billy will advise you correctly.

Dirty Billy's Hats:
168 C Church St, Charleston, SC 29401

I suppose it depends on what you are going to use the item for, but Nick Sekela is tough to beat, and I believe Regqtm offers some of his items like a sack coat, etc. What I have always said is "if Nick Sekela makes an item, it will be the best one you can get." Costs a bit more, and worth it. Great advice on Dirty Billy for the headgear.

Welcome to the forum. I have given some thoughts of joining the SUVCW. Would I have to wear a uniform?

Hello,
If you hurry, you can contact Tim Sheads at S&S, in Gettysburg. Tim recently purchased Ton Troiani's repro uniform collection and is reselling them, it really depends on what you are looking for, if you want a representative uniform and cost is a consideration, Regimental Q. True authenticity Sekela and Ray Hock are the best for federal uniforms IMHO. The Quartermaster Shop has also upped their game in recent years and won't break the bank..

Actually, I would peruse EBay and ACW forums to see what used uniforms are out there, many are getting out of the hobby and posting their kits.

I'd use the quartermaster shop out of Michigan. They will give you good advice and may negotiate a price if your in a tight budget.

Welcome from Arizona, where its always sunny! As for your uniform, please do your research first... if you plan to wear the uniform of an ancestor, try to find out what their unit wore. If that isn't your goal, see what regiments recruited from your area were equipped with. If neither apply, then you're right, a simple Sack Coat and Trowsers will do just fine.

All of the above suggestions are great, and don't overlook some sutlers that carry consignment or used uniform components. This might help you catch a great deal on some pretty authentic stuff!

Back