1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Tower conversion musket

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by 1867crete, Mar 20, 2017 at 9:06 PM.

1. 1867crete

1867crete Cadet

Hey all hello again! I need some help on pricing a original Tower musket. I don't have any pics good enough to post. So any ball park guess would be appreciated!! Owner said he took it "gun shop" and he dated it early 1770's . Arsenal converted from flintlock ,numbers matching on barrel bands. (So not a Bess)complete length barrel but missing ramrod. Lock only says "tower" barrel has British arsenal marks etc no date.I haven't seen in person, again trying to get ball park ideas for price I know non American do not command as high price, but how early it is (if it is that early) make up for it.!?

Specster likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com First Sergeant Forum Host

Putting a price on any CW relics that I can't hold in my hand to look at, smell and yes even taste (when it comes to CS plates) it difficult at bests but with with no photos its impossible. :cold:

Specster likes this.
  4. 1867crete

1867crete Cadet

Not good detail on pics but this is what I have!

Attached Files:

5. 1867crete

1867crete Cadet

IMG_2230.JPG I'm just not sure bout British muskets!? I will try to get better pics

Attached Files:

Specster likes this.
  6. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com First Sergeant Forum Host

From the grainy photo it doesn't appear to have been cut down. Without better photos of the lock-plate and the other parts with makers marks & inspector markings its impossible to tell what you have.

Specster likes this.
  7. 1867crete

1867crete Cadet

Yes i was afarid of that. Asking 600 that just seems steep for what it seems to be!? But again I don't know! Ha!! Thanks for your response!

Specster likes this.
  8. Jobe Holiday

Jobe Holiday First Sergeant

It appears to be someone's creation from a mixture of parts.
    J.

Specster, tbuckley and johan_steele like this.
  9. originalrebelyell

originalrebelyell Private

Looks like it is put together from odds and end pieces.

tbuckley likes this.
  10. kevikens

kevikens Sergeant Major

That hollowed cheek piece is common to French Charleville of the late 1700's and the US muskets of 1812. I cannot see for sure but that muzzle is sticking out way to far for a Bess or, as a matter of fact , any musket I know of. Also a Brown Bess is a pin fastened musket and yours appears to be band fastened. Most important are the markings on the barrel close to the breech and on the lock plate. Can you show us pix of the muzzle, lock plate and top of the barrel near the hammer? My guess right now is a "parts musket", most likely from a French or US model and produced in Liege Belgium, possibly for a mid 19th century native constabulary.

tbuckley likes this.
  11. 1867crete

1867crete Cadet

Alas no I do not have any better pics.... I thought the muzzle extended to far as well...... I have not seen in person. I was trying to get a education before I saw it but seems the consensus is a parts gun from the poor photos... if I get better photos I will post better pics! Thanks all!!!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)