• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

To Drink To Make Pineapple-ade

no. 99. to make pineapple-ade.
(from Six Hundred Miscellaneous Valuable Receipts Worth Their Weight in Gold, by John Marquart, 1860)

Ingredients:

fresh ripe pineapples​
powdered white sugar​
1/2 gallon of boiling water for each pineapple​
ice​

Instructions:

Pare some fresh, ripe pineapples and cut them into thin slices; then cut each slice into small bits; put them into a large pitcher, and sprinkle powdered white sugar among them; pour on boiling water in proportion of 1/2 gallon of water to each pineapple; cover the pitcher, stop up the spout with a roll of soft paper, and let the pineapples infuse into the water till it becomes quite cool, stirring and pressing down the pineapple occasionally with a spoon, to get out as much juice as possible. When the liquid has grown quite cold, set the pitcher for a while in ice. Then transfer the infusion to tumblers, add some more sugar, and put into each glass a lump of ice. You may lay a thin slice of fresh pineapple into each tumbler before you pour out the infusion.​

Found this refreshing summer inspired recipe on a food blog and wanted to share.

I think you could easily make something similar today and add a splash of orange juice to mixture to make it a little tart and you could garnish the glasses with pineapple or orange slices and dress it up further with those cute little umbrellas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting twist! I would imagine a refreshing cold drink, as I think pineapple is delicious!

Cute little umbrellas....do I sense spiking coming into play soon???

Well....you could add a dash of rum to your pineapple-ade if you felt so inclined! :whistling:

I think even a splash of coconut water might be a nice twist to the recipe, too. Honestly I didn't even realize pineapples were something readily available in 1860 America. Seems so tropical and expensive.

Well....you could add a dash of rum to your pineapple-ade if you felt so inclined! :whistling:

I think even a splash of coconut water might be a nice twist to the recipe, too. Honestly I didn't even realize pineapples were something readily available in 1860 America. Seems so tropical and expensive.
MmmmHmmm...I thought a spike was forthcoming! Hey, speaking of which, are you attending the Gettysburg adventure in September???

MmmmHmmm...I thought a spike was forthcoming! Hey, speaking of which, are you attending the Gettysburg adventure in September???

I'm hitting Gettysburg come July with my family, so I don't think I'll be making a second trip there in September, but if the calendar at the office clears up and I have funds for the adventure, I'll be sure to come down! :geek:

English Colonists began importing pineapple from the Caribbean in the 17th century. The pineapple became the symbol of hospitality in America. If you have been to Colonial Williamsburg you see it used everywhere.

Pineapple recipes appeared in American cookbooks by the early 19th century.

One from Godey's Lady's Book dates from 1862:

Pine Apple Ice Cream

"Pare a ripe, juicy pine apple, chop it up fine, and pound it to extract the juice. Cover it with sugar and let it lie a while in a china bowl. When the sugar has entirely melted. strain the juice into a quart of good cream, and add a little less than a pound of loaf sugar. Beat up the cream and freeze it in the same manner as common ice cream."

From: "Civil War Recipes Receipts from the Pages of Godey's Lady's Book", page 234.

English Colonists began importing pineapple from the Caribbean in the 17th century. The pineapple became the symbol of hospitality in America. If you have been to Colonial Williamsburg you see it used everywhere.

Pineapple recipes appeared in American cookbooks by the early 19th century.

One from Godey's Lady's Book dates from 1862:

Pine Apple Ice Cream

"Pare a ripe, juicy pine apple, chop it up fine, and pound it to extract the juice. Cover it with sugar and let it lie a while in a china bowl. When the sugar has entirely melted. strain the juice into a quart of good cream, and add a little less than a pound of loaf sugar. Beat up the cream and freeze it in the same manner as common ice cream."

From: "Civil War Recipes Receipts from the Pages of Godey's Lady's Book", page 234.

Oh, goodness! I'm so stupid! I've been to Colonial Williamsburg a bunch of times and did notice the use of the pineapple everywhere but didn't correlate it with folks actually eating and enjoying them in the era! :redface:

Ooo! Pineapple ice cream, that sounds yummy! Maybe toss in some coconut milk to make it extra tropical! :hungry:

Back