Thoughts on this uniform?

Sea Scallop

Private
I've been told that this is a Baltimore National Guard uniform. Any thoughts? I see that there is a badge on it as well but I cant identify either.
IMG_5714.jpg

Posting these replies while on breaks at work so don't have my reference books in front of me and going by memory. I thought National Guard designations were typically associated with the name of the State. For example, there is the Maryland National Guard, but I think they got that designation after the Civil War. There was a Baltimore City Guard that predated the CW and I believe the unit joined a Confederate Regiment. I'm sure someone can provide the particulars. Hopefully I am correct about the BCG button.

According to Wikipedia, the Baltimore City Guard was formed in 1857 but wore dark blue coats trimmed with gold. (And I confirmed in Tice's button book that they wore BCG buttons.) But Wikipedia does say the Independent Grays wore a gray tailed jacket trimmed in black. Both units had officers and men who went to fight for the Confederacy.

According to Wikipedia, the Baltimore City Guard was formed in 1857 but wore dark blue coats trimmed with gold. (And I confirmed in Tice's button book that they wore BCG buttons.) But Wikipedia does say the Independent Grays wore a gray tailed jacket trimmed in black. Both units had officers and men who went to fight for the Confederacy.
Thank you very much for this research. It is very helpful.

There is so much uniform information for the Civil War, but pre Civil War uniform information is more scarce.

And unfortunately this photo gives us fewer clues than some. It does appear to be a gray jacket with dark trim, which was a very common combination. Headgear and belt buckles can help date and identify an image, but we have neither. Do you own the image? Is there a maker on the reverse that could be researched for date and location?

I've been told that this is a Baltimore National Guard uniform. Any thoughts? I see that there is a badge on it as well but I cant identify either.View attachment 375304
Sorry, late to the party. What is pictured is a post war Maryland militia uniform pre 1871 of a Maryland National Guardsman. These uniforms were worn 1867-1871 and then replaced by the uniforms that have the 3 rows of buttons and braid across chest linking each button. The epaulettes and medal are also indicative of the just post war period. The epaulettes are a dark blue with a white half ring on top above the white fringe. The buttons on these jackets are of the early Maryland pattern (eagle above seal instead of crown), Scoville back marked IIRC. The belt plates issued were of the war date look, but had Maryland National Guard inscribed on the bottom.

Why is everyone speculating this may be Confederate, when on of our resident experts has confirmed its post-war?

Its pretty easy to see it isn't Confederate and not pre-war militia. On a side note, a local museum here in East Texas has one of these Maryland Militia uniforms on display. Mislabeled as some other pre-war militia uniform. Too bad I don't have pictures of it.

Certainly a confederate uniform. My guess is that this person was a cadet or officer in training while the civil war was going on.
Not only is it not a Confederate uniform, the individual wearing it served in the US military. He is wearing a Mollus Medal on his left breast, which also makes him a GAR member. The uniform is as stated, the post war Maryland National Guard uniform worn for a very brief time, between 1867 and 1871, these uniforms are very sought after and rare.

Back