Member Review Thomas Francis Meagher

I'm kinda surprised they do steak houses in Ireland. Sounds great to me. I believe the rocking chair was a Kennedy trademark. It was supposed to have something to do with making his back injuries less painful.

Enjoy you steak !

John

There are a few good ones around. A friend of mine is a chef and works for this chain that has a few restaurants in the city so I always give them the business. Happy Sunday folks.

IMG_2561.jpeg
 
Plan to be in Dublin in early May before doing a car tour of the whole island over the next 2 weeks.

I'd really recommend Collins barracks for military history. I ended up by chance talking to one of the curators today online. It's a fantastic museum it's mainly covers over military history in regards to the independence movement along with service by our people in British wars but has a small section that includes the ACW they had a kepi that belonged to Patrick Cleburne the last time I was in it.
 

Has anyone here ever visited his grave ?
 

Has anyone here ever visited his grave ?
Sounds like from the write up it's a cenotaph not a gravesite. I'm surprised we don't have conspiracy theories about Meagher surviving the fall and starting a new life.
 
I'd really recommend Collins barracks for military history. I ended up by chance talking to one of the curators today online. It's a fantastic museum it's mainly covers over military history in regards to the independence movement along with service by our people in British wars but has a small section that includes the ACW they had a kepi that belonged to Patrick Cleburne the last time I was in it.
Since I will be having the wife along on this trip, she is sure to nix any visits to military sites.:tongue:
 

Has anyone here ever visited his grave ?
My understanding is his body was never recovered when he fell off the boat (or was thrown off).
 
The 16ozT Bone has my vote. However I need a large baked potatoes with plenty of butter and sour cream to accompany the very rare steak. Then a few beers to wash it all down. I'm watching my calories and cholesterol.

John
 
Sounds like from the write up it's a cenotaph not a gravesite. I'm surprised we don't have conspiracy theories about Meagher surviving the fall and starting a new life.
Somehow, I don't see him as being the type to quietly fade away. He had hopes of turning Montana into a Fenian homeland the way the Mormons got control of Utah. There's all sorts of fun theories: Did he fall or was he pushed? Was he drunk? Was he poisoned? If he was pushed, who did it and why? There are apparently a few choices for that last one. I really enjoyed The Immortal Irishman by Timothy Egan if you're looking for a biography.

By the way, are there any monuments or plaques to him in Australia? He spent some quality time down there as a guest of Her Majesty's Government before finding a way out. :wink:
 
Since I will be having the wife along on this trip, she is sure to nix any visits to military sites.:tongue:
I know the feeling😅.
Kilmainham Jail is supposed to be a great stop in Dublin but I've never been able to get tickets. Good idea to start checking online now if you're interested.
I have an arrangement with the wife when travelling. I get out real early to get my history fix and make it back by 11AM. Keeps the peace.
 
I know the feeling😅.
Kilmainham Jail is supposed to be a great stop in Dublin but I've never been able to get tickets. Good idea to start checking online now if you're interested.
I have an arrangement with the wife when travelling. I get out real early to get my history fix and make it back by 11AM. Keeps the peace.

Yeah it's fantastic. I haven't been in years since before it got more popular and hard to get a ticket in . For me it was bit of an emotional tour as I have always idolised our patriots. I'd also recommend Arbour hill and Richmond Barracks both sites link into the story of Kilmainham jail.
 
I know the feeling😅.
Kilmainham Jail is supposed to be a great stop in Dublin but I've never been able to get tickets. Good idea to start checking online now if you're interested.
I have an arrangement with the wife when travelling. I get out real early to get my history fix and make it back by 11AM. Keeps the peace.
Yeah, I've been advised to book online a few days in advance. It's considered one of the top Dublin sites. I haven't been able to find out why a jail is such a hot tourist spot.

Your tip wouldn't work for me. Getting out early is not something that I ever do. It's my wife who is the early bird!:bounce:
 
Yeah, I've been advised to book online a few days in advance. It's considered one of the top Dublin sites. I haven't been able to find out why a jail is such a hot tourist spot.

Your tip wouldn't work for me. Getting out early is not something that I ever do. It's my wife who is the early bird!:bounce:

I won't stray off topic too much but it is hallowed ground in our independence struggle. A place where people of their beliefs made the ultimate sacrifice.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top