Then and Now from Everywhere

RebYell64

Corporal
I love then and now pictures. I found one from Antietam on this site a while back, but I'd be really curious to see then and now of everything - everywhere. From battlefields to mundane things like a town, street, house, etc.

If y'all have some I'd love to see them.

Here's one that I believe is from the civilwar.org site, it's a photo of Cedar Mountain.

Attachments

• 00211-then-and-now.jpg
    00211-then-and-now.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,192
I love then and now pictures. I found one from Antietam on this site a while back, but I'd be really curious to see then and now of everything - everywhere. From battlefields to mundane things like a town, street, house, etc.

If y'all have some I'd love to see them.

Here's one that I believe is from the civilwar.org site, it's a photo of Cedar Mountain.
I have a bunch, I'll post in a day or two

7Days NelsonFarm BL.jpg
7Days NelsonFarm 1880s.jpg
DSCN1825-27_Ed.jpg
A photo was taken at the Glendale Battlefield in 1885 showing Frayser's/Nelson's Farm. It was used as a drawing for Battles & Leaders of the Civil War, but with some "improvements." They added the National Cemetery to the right side of the drawing which, although it is nearby, probably should not be in the picture. The original photo was taken north of the present-day power line at around co-ordinates 37.441325, -77.234985 (Check it out with Google Streetview.) My panorama photos from 2012 were taken too far south during a struggle with my camera and I had to fix it up with photoshop.
There is an old house on this property along with a barn. I have not been able to find out if they were there during the battle.

Last edited:
West of Williamsport MD.
Stonewall Jackson attempted to destroy C&O Canal Dam No. 5 in December 1861, but messed up.
The original dam is a few feet downstream of the present dam where a few guys are seen fishing.
Location of Photograph: 39.606940, -77.921710
The artist drawing the original would have been on the hillside north of the towpath but there are too many trees there now for a better match.

Dwg-FLeslieDam5.JPG
DSCN0645-46.JPG

Last edited:
Malvern Hill: The Crew House and Lane
In the Battles and Leaders drawing below, the old house was the wartime structure, which went down after the war. The new house is what's there now -- sort of ...
7Days CrewHouseOldNew BL.jpg
IMG_0322.JPG

The Crew Lane around 1900 - from a marker photo. The whole landscape was much more open then and you could apparently see the James River from the Malvern Cliffs near the house. This property is now preserved by the Civil War Trust.
IMG_0321 Edit.jpg

IMG_0326.JPG

This was a problem. I thought I'd drive in, walk onto the tracks and get a "then & now" but sometimes it just doesn't work that way. My co-ordinates approximately: 37.888071, -77.462184
In 1864 the Confederates destroyed the south end of the RF&P railroad bridge over the North Anna River. Then Union troops completed the damage. A photographer (Timothy O'Sullivan?) took a great picture of the bridge. I showed up 147 years later and found the tracks were not really accessible. So this is the best I could get.
Check out the current Blue & Gray magazine for more information on the North Anna Campaign (but they didn't get this!)

NAR RR Bridge 1864.jpg

IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG

Last edited:
That's impressive. I can see how that's not truly accessible. Always amazes me when things haven't changed much since the War, like railways in the same place and everything.

Image (12).jpg

Not exactly the same idea, admittedly - but some fifty-four years separate these two views taken at Stonewall Jackson's Winchester, Virginia, headquarters! The one above was taken by my mother during a vacation in 1961 and the one below was taken by my oldest friend just this spring.

DSC03453 50crop.jpg

Back