The Outlaw Crabtree

I am not sure if this is the right place to discuss this, but, I will give it a shot. My great grandfather was William Thomas Crabtree (1810-1865) killed near Pea Ridge, Arkansas, but not during the battle of. I have a copy of an old letter from an elderly Aunt who knew William's widow personally, and who writes some information concerning his death. My mother also told me stories concerning him and what happened after the end of the war. I am interested in talking to anyone else who might have information concerning him.
In my research I have found some things about an Outlaw Crabtree and I suspect some of the stories I have been told fit his profile as I know it. Actually, I have not researched any war records concerning him as I have not been particularly interested in the details of his military service - if he was even in the military. I would like to visit with anyone who is researching information on the Outlaw Crabtree. Personally, I think there might have been more than one as no one seems to know what his first name was. Thanks for sharing any information you have.

Welcome from Chattanooga.

If he was killed in the year of 1865 at about the age of 55, his military records may shed a lot of light on what the cause of his death was. Arkansas was a political nightmare after the war, and General T. C. Hindman, a confederate was assassinated there after the war. Roving bands of guerrillas on both sides of the conflict could cause the 'outlaw' derivative to his name. Many never settled down. Most times in the Official Records, a similar wording such as 'Rebel so and so" is used with just the last name.

Enjoy your time.
Lubliner.

I am not sure if this is the right place to discuss this, but, I will give it a shot. My great grandfather was William Thomas Crabtree (1810-1865) killed near Pea Ridge, Arkansas, but not during the battle of. I have a copy of an old letter from an elderly Aunt who knew William's widow personally, and who writes some information concerning his death. My mother also told me stories concerning him and what happened after the end of the war. I am interested in talking to anyone else who might have information concerning him.
In my research I have found some things about an Outlaw Crabtree and I suspect some of the stories I have been told fit his profile as I know it. Actually, I have not researched any war records concerning him as I have not been particularly interested in the details of his military service - if he was even in the military. I would like to visit with anyone who is researching information on the Outlaw Crabtree. Personally, I think there might have been more than one as no one seems to know what his first name was. Thanks for sharing any information you have.

Welcome. If he was born in 1810, that would be a bit old for military service on either side I would think, but if he met a violent end in 1865, in Arkansas, the war probably played a part in some way. You might find some help at the Civil War Ancestry forum. A cursory glance gives 23 Union Soldiers & 31 Confederate by that name. None with the middle initial "Thomas".

Back