The Irish Brigade

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Simply HDR_1489746948431.jpg

* The Irish Bridge Monument at the Antietam National Battlefield near Sharpsburg, Maryland. Photo courtesy of William Bechmann.

Happy St. Patrick's Day : American Civil War Style..... The Irish Brigade was an infantry brigade, consisting predominantly of Irish Americans, that served in the Federal Army in the American Civil War. The designation of the first regiment in the brigade, the 69th New York Infantry (Fighting 69th), continued in later conflicts. The Irish Brigade was known in part for its famous war cry, the "faugh a ballagh", which is an anglicization of the Irish phrase, fág an bealach, meaning "clear the way".

Last edited by a moderator:
but the 69th does it in historical uniform ? also with the early lovely zouaves variant ! if yes, do you have any photos to show about that parade ?
thank you

Predominantly Irish (either by birth or descent) commands that served at Gettysburg:

USA
-9th Massachusetts
-Company K, 40th New York
-71st New York
-Company C, 149th New York
-Company B, 8th Ohio
-69th Pennsylvania
-Company A, 13th Vermont
-Company D, 6th Wisconsin
-Colonel Patrick Kelly’s Brigade

CSA
-Company I, 8th Alabama
-Companies F and I, 6th Louisiana
-Company F, 7th Louisiana
-Company E, 9th Louisiana
-10th Louisiana
-Company E, 1st Maryland Battalion
-Company F, Phillips’ (Georgia) Legion
-Company K, 1st South Carolina
-Company C, 1st Virginia
-Company D, 27th Virginia
-Company E, 33rd Virginia

Plus and @CSA Today has a thread on it (Confederate) Kelly's Irish Brigade from St Louis , Missouri. From what sources I found it was actually closer to a company with 150 men.
Leftyhunter

Back