The Buell Commission

On December 28, 1862, the court met for the last time that year. Their army was advancing on Murfreesboro and in a few days the Battle of Stone's River would be fought. Again, the court welcomed a short day by calling one Government witness; 1st Lieutenant Charles Allen of the Third Ohio Volunteers. He worked as an acting commissary of subsistence for his division and was stationed in Nashville in August 31, 1862, as Buell fell back to guard his supply lines and the city against depredations. He was questioned but 11 times, and being shown the reports of shipping, he was asked to supply a breakdown of subsistence on hand for that date; also whether or not any units were bringing in subsistence from the field on foraging expeditions. He answered in the negative on the latter question and pointed out another officer had records he needed, so the court decided to break and return after relocation to Louisville, Kentucky, about January 10, 1863.
When they reconvened after 13 days, 1st Lt. Charles Allen was called again and supplied the court with the necessary information.
Lubliner.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Instead of recapping again the first month, though it is a solid way-post in the trial, I would prefer to venture a directional bearing as to what I believe will transpire. It appears to me, this court has acted entirely on it's own determination without a meddlesome push from Washington. The pace has been swift and the meetings pressed forward. Meanwhile a struggle for filling the vacuum of leadership up and down the chain of command has been taking place. A battle is to be fought and won before the next session, but the consequence is horrific. Nashville is deluged with the sick and wounded, and 10 days to celebrate a belated Christmas, with whatever furlough, cannot be much to the remaining men. The Army is basing the trial where it is most advantageous for the witnesses to appear. Somehow, with the charges being defused against Buell, the court is finally able to consider it's own activity and draw from it. It has stabilized, and possibly a full disclosure for due process has been granted the officials in Washington; just possibly, for it may cause bias.
The argument against General Buell is still strong, but the shifting of fault and blame keeps being put on Commissary, and the inability for the engineers to prove tangible lines keeping open communication. This is just the precursor to the battle of Perryville. The real fault has been the failure to apprehend the enemy, being unprepared to face the enemy when found, and allowing the enemy a clean disengagement and escape without a chase. This is a hardball judgement from me, as it should also be with the court, but they appear determined to keep the cart steady, and only slight admonishment is felt in it's own timidity. Woe to the underling taking the fall.
This will be continued soon; Lubliner.