The Battle of Limestone Station

TNBandit

Private
This one is of particular interest to me since I live in Limestone Tennessee and know this area very well. The old stone house they speak of still stands and is a private residence. One of my close friends owns the old Salt House in nearby Jonesboro Tennessee that changed hands multiple times during the war. It's now a distillery. Anyone with any info about this short battle, please feel free to post what you've got. http://www.thomaslegion.net/americancivilwar/battleoflimestonestation.html

Thank you @TNBandit for the post. This action occurred just prior to the battle at Chickamauga, and soon after that Longstreet was sent north in that direction to besiege Burnside. Due to the larger campaign by Rosecrans against Bragg, this one is easy to overlook.
Lubliner.

Thank you @TNBandit for the post. This action occurred just prior to the battle at Chickamauga, and soon after that Longstreet was sent north in that direction to besiege Burnside. Due to the larger campaign by Rosecrans against Bragg, this one is easy to overlook.
Lubliner.
I thought it was interesting when I read that the Confederate soldiers who took part quickly swapped their old muskets for the 300 Enfields they took from the Ohio troops.

This one is of particular interest to me since I live in Limestone Tennessee and know this area very well. The old stone house they speak of still stands and is a private residence. One of my close friends owns the old Salt House in nearby Jonesboro Tennessee that changed hands multiple times during the war. It's now a distillery. Anyone with any info about this short battle, please feel free to post what you've got. http://www.thomaslegion.net/americancivilwar/battleoflimestonestation.html

The Union Army Perspective:

LIMESTONE CREEK, TENNESSEE (LIMESTONE STATION, TN.)
SEPTEMBER 8,1863

Limestone Creek, Tenn., Sept. 8, 1863. Detachment of
100th Ohio Infantry. The itinerary of the 23d army corps from
Aug. 1 to Sept. 30, during the East Tennessee campaign, states:
"Sept. 8. - Lieut.-Col. Hayes, 100th Ohio, and 300 men had a
skirmish at Telford's station with 1,500 of the enemy, under
Gen. Jackson; 1 killed and 2 wounded. Thirty of the enemy
killed and wounded. Fell back to Limestone creek, to await
reinforcements. Fought the enemy, 1,800 strong, for two hours,
and then surrendered. Loss, killed, wounded, and taken pri-
soners, 200 men."

Source: The Union Army, vol. 6​

Last edited:

The Union Army Perspective:

LIMESTONE CREEK, TENNESSEE (LIMESTONE STATION, TN.)
SEPTEMBER 8,1863

Limestone Creek, Tenn., Sept. 8, 1863. Detachment of
100th Ohio Infantry. The itinerary of the 23d army corps from
Aug. 1 to Sept. 30, during the East Tennessee campaign, states:
"Sept. 8. - Lieut.-Col. Hayes, 100th Ohio, and 300 men had a
skirmish at Telford's station with 1,500 of the enemy, under
Gen. Jackson; 1 killed and 2 wounded. Thirty of the enemy
killed and wounded. Fell back to Limestone creek, to await
reinforcements. Fought the enemy, 1,800 strong, for two hours,
and then surrendered. Loss, killed, wounded, and taken pri-
soners, 200 men."

Source: The Union Army, vol. 6​
The report hushed up the loss of arms and ammunition!
Lubliner.

Union losses according to CS Maj. Stringfield- 290 prisoners, 30 wounded, 20 killed, CS losses 20 killed and 15 wounded.
Only a few escaped. Local Historian John Fain wrote of an interview with Nolichucky River Ferryman Nicholas Earnest, who helped the men escape. Earnest "crossed then over and took their names down in his book, 35 of them-all most entirely exhausted, the worst
besmeared men he ever seen." The Earnests were of Confederate persuasion. Guess, He was taking names to try and get reimbursed for Ferry fees.
Would be interesting to get list of names. Will dig into that.

Back