That Garibaldi blouse

Mrs. V

1st Lieutenant
I know that it is super popular among reenactors..with the skirt and Zoave jacket? Added..How common was it during the war? Or is it just something that corset weary reenactors adopted? Inquiring minds want to know! Besides, I have this pattern.....

Not completely unknown early in the War. Probably rare after that. Red Garibaldi shirts not unknown early in the War. Much less common after that. If a reenactor wears the Garibaldi for any battle after 1861 I would really question it. I would even question it after the spring of 1861.

Even the "Garibaldi Guard" , the 39th New York , switched to standard Union uniforms later in the war .

I believe the question was about the female fashion of wearing the Garibaldi blouse. From the pictures I've seen it remained much more fashionable with the ladies.

Sorry I did not make it clear that I was wondering about ladies fashions. Now that you all mention it, didn’t the Zoaves wear the Garibaldi blouse? Every once in a while I think about making on up, I’ve only ever seen them done in white, but would love to do it in another color!

Back