Texas Enfield ?

TNBandit

Private
Crazy question and I'm guessing they were fantasy pieces made up by Bannerman but the experts here will have the answers. While having my morning ritual in the "library" this morning and thumbing through the 1903 reprint of the Bannerman catalog on page 46 he shows an Enfield type lock, complete and marked "Enfield Rifle, Tyler Texas" in front of the hammer where one would normally find the Tower stamp and behind the hammer it's stamped "CS". Cool marketing ploy by the old devil or a real piece ? Google search comes up completely blank.

You are describing the lockplate of a rare rifle made at the Tyler, Texas confederate armory. Several models were made there, and very, very few have survived. Lanyard Puller can likely tell you exactly, but I believe I could count the number using only my fingers and my toes.
I believe there were loose lockplates not installed on any rifles "liberated" from the facility after the War.

You are describing the lockplate of a rare rifle made at the Tyler, Texas confederate armory. Several models were made there, and very, very few have survived. Lanyard Puller can likely tell you exactly, but I believe I could count the number using only my fingers and my toes.
I believe there were loose lockplates not installed on any rifles "liberated" from the facility after the War.
Well cool, I learned something today. I've always been told to believe less than half of what's printed in the Bannerman catalogs but there it is. Makes me wish I could go back in time and buy some at the published price of a buck fifty each...

You might check with your local library to see if they may have, or be able to get, Tyler Texas C.S.A. by William Albaugh published by Stackpole in 1958. It has information on the Tyler Texas rifles.

Well would you lookie there.. I found a couple afterall.

33403104_1260714577395886_8903184664479399936_n.jpg

Screenshot from 2021-11-24 14-22-58.png

Back