Tape trim

charliegold

Private
Joined
Feb 3, 2025
I have seen 3/8" and 1/2" width tape trim used on uniforms. Is one width considered "period" as opposed to the other.?
Thanks,
cg
 
I think it's dependent upon what type of garment. I do believe that Fed enlisted mounted shell jackets used 1/2" tape for their trim. Where the frocks were using the smaller 3/8" piping for the trim.
 
Not sure if the original question was to source tape for a project but just in case...
AFAIK the correct trim tape should be wool, not cotton. (Most of the tape sold in stores is cotton.)
 
I have seen 3/8" and 1/2" width tape trim used on uniforms. Is one width considered "period" as opposed to the other.?
Thanks,
cg
If you are talking about the width of the welt on officer pants, that's rank. Other measurements on rank are also determined by bullion length on epaulettes too. Shoulder boards as well have 1/4 inch measurements on the borders as opposed to 3/8 post war
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top