1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Taking a break

Discussion in 'Civil War Uniforms & Relics' started by major bill, Mar 19, 2017.

1. major bill

major bill Major Forum Host

I will be away from home for one to three weeks and may post less on this forum. I think the tablet will work for me, but I may have limited time.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Legion Para

Legion Para 1st Lieutenant Forum Host Retired Moderator

4. major bill

I do hope to learn a thing or two about the Alamo. Two one hour long classes, a hour introduction at the Alamo and a three hour guided tour. Isn't the Alamo only one room? I am pretty sure a three hour guided tour of a room will be long enough.

5. huskerblitz

huskerblitz Captain Forum Host

We are covering the Alamo this week in my class! Find out what really happened with Crockett!
    As for the tour, I'm assuming they will point out places in the plaza that's no longer there. And probably about the unique bell-shape facade over the top that wasn't there during the battle itself. In any case have a good time!

6. Legion Para

Legion Para 1st Lieutenant Forum Host Retired Moderator

Does this include lunch?

download.png

Cavalry Charger, JohnW. and AndyHall like this.
  7. AndyHall

AndyHall Colonel Forum Host

Alamo.jpg

What's left now is the Chapel (i.e., the old mission church) and the lower part of the Long Barracks adjacent. In 1836 it was a much larger complex.

Hardin's Texian Illiad is probably the best one-volume history of the Texas Revolution. For guides to the physical design and appearance of the Alamo, I suggest Mark Lemon's Illustrated Alamo, 1836, and Nelson and Pais' The Alamo: An Illustrated History.

Walter Lord's A Time to Stand is over 50 years old now, but still a classic of clear storytelling.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  8. major bill

We usually take a bus on our field trip and get lunch on the bus or at the site or at a restaurant. This year it is a one block walk to the Alamo, so lunch is on our own.

A few years back all we got for lunch on our Appomattox campaign tour was parched corn and hardback so there is always a joke all we all will be given to eat on future tours is Army rations. Don't cry to hard about us only getting parched corn and hardback because we stopped for homemade muffins and had a real nice dinner. Not sure the Confederate Army got fresh muffins during the Appomattox campaign.

Nathanb1 and FarawayFriend like this.
  9. zburkett

zburkett Sergeant

Be safe. The Alamo is a fort and now an extensive museum. Some of it is subtle if you aren't a Texican.

Nathanb1 likes this.
  10. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

11. AndyHall

Do I recall you're staying at the Menger?

[​IMG]
    Aside from the Alamo business, San Antonio (and the Menger Hotel) is sort of a spiritual home for the Rough Riders from the Spanish War. Above, via the LoC, "Pres. Roosevelt greeting 'the boys' who fought in Cuba - 'Rough Rider' reunion at San Antonio, Texas."

12. 1867crete

1867crete Private

Looking forward to your posts , when you return! Enjoy and have fun!!

13. major bill

I am being forced to use my wife's tablet for my trip. If she sees this boat trip and right error walk on her tablet I will have to take her on them. A word to the wise "Loose lips sink ships, or at least force husbands to take boat tours".

FarawayFriend likes this.
  14. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

I hope you have a great trip !

When I received notice the 2017 convention was going to be in San Antonio, I seriously considered attending.
    Unfortunately it didn't work out.

I love San Antonio.

Should you need a snack while checking out the sites, I recommend a stop by Mi Tierra Cafe for some outstanding pastries.

major bill likes this.
  15. JPChurch

JPChurch Private

A friend of mine visited the Alamo Mission and then took the boat ride through San Antonio afterwards (about 3 years ago). The boat's engine broke down while on the cruise (it had to be towed by another vessel) and they got back late to where their rental car was parked in a parking lot timed zone. Their rental car got towed away as a result. Bummer......

William G Hendry likes this.
  16. FarawayFriend

I am very sorry, Sir! But I think that lovely boattrip would make a fine balance for letting you use our wife's tablet.
    :D

17. Package4

Package4 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

The Alamo is both exciting and sad, exciting in that it evokes strong emotions in those of us devoted to history and sad, because so little is left of this once historic compound/mission. The city has largely claimed the site, the outer West wall is under a strip of buildings, one of which is the Marriott. Where Travis was allegedly killed is now occupied by a Federal building, in fact IIRC it is the area of the Post Office steps. The Long Barracks have been largely recreated, the Alamo has undergone many transformations and purposes over 181 years, from warehouse, arsenal, stables, to mercantile usage and a story of an unseemly period about a brothel.......

Highly recommend the River Walk in the evening!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  18. Student of Sherman

Student of Sherman Sergeant

Remember the a la mode...:wink:

[​IMG]

huskerblitz likes this.
  19. AndyHall

[​IMG]

How does that even happen?
    Those boats are never more than 30 feet from the bank, FFS.

20. FarawayFriend

I'm having this song in the back of my head the whole day, now I will share it:

Package4 and William G Hendry like this.
  21. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

Agreed! Lemon's model he created for the book was purchased by Phil Collins and is at the History Shop, catty-corner from the Alamo. I never took a class to the Alamo without going there first so they could realize how big the area the Texians defended really was. Like Billy Bob said..."We're gonna need more men."

Edit: I think the book is out of print now, so if you find a copy, grab it!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    AndyHall likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)