SUVCW

My great-grandfather was a Southern Unionist who joined the 1st Mississippi Mounted Rifles and fought for the Union. He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant and was a company commander. He mustered out in June of 1865. I live in CT and tried to contact three different SUVCV camps but never got a response. I think the info on the site must be outdated. Any suggestions? Although I live in CT, I wonder if I might be more connected to a Trans Mississippi group.
You can join camp's in your local area, where in CT do you live, if the Department Commander didn't reach out to you I get regular communications from the Department Sec and can reach out to him to see what camps are in that area.

I've connected with the Rhode Island Department. They have been very helpful. I am about 45 minutes from the RI border, and the CT camps are just as far away. Thank you for following up.

Is there a reason for the lack of interest in Union heritage? For example wiki shows the SUVCW membership at 6360, the SCV at 97,000

I know here in Missouri of several SCV camps within driving distance and none for SUVCW

Based on numbers there should be more Union descendants then confederate, but membership doesn't reflect that

Last edited:
Is there a reason for the lack of interest in Union heritage? For example wiki shows the SUVCW membership at 6360, the SCV at 97,000

I know here in Missouri of several SCV camps within driving distance and none for SUVCW

Based on numbers there should be more Union descendants then confederate, but membership doesn't reflect that
I think the basic thing is that History isn't nearly as big in the North as it is in the South. Rhode Island had over 20,000 Soldiers that served and our Department membership is around 100. One would think we would have a much larger membership, especially when the likes of Douglas MacArthur and Ulysses S. Grant III were members.

The actual membership the SCV is around the 30,000 range and SUVCW membership is closer to 7,000.

One of the obvious answers is because of recent events. Another is that the south is littered with battlefields that serve as constant reminders which probably boosts interest in the era significantly. Lastly, the SCV has a much better marketing campaign from what I've gathered, not to mention they get more news coverage, again due to recent events.

I've applied for membership with a camp in Kansas. Because of the distance, I probably won't be able to attend meetings very often. But I figured it was at least worth giving it a try. Going to a national event sounds like fun, but not realistic for me, unless it was fairly close.
Did you ever hear back from the camp you reached out to?
Ben

Did you have any luck rejoining your camp?
Ben
No Ben, right now I am taking care of my mother as she recovers from back trouble. My wife and I do attend a monthly civil war round table group. I live in Ohio but would kind of like to be associated with a Tennessee SUVCW group as my ancestors were in a Tn. Mounted Infantry regiment. USA. However there are a few Southern Unionist around here..mostly from Kentucky units. Thanks for asking
TnFed.

I'm a 26-year member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War here in Houston, Texas. I initially joined at large while working in North Carolina in 1993, and then joined the Lt. Cmdr. Edward Lea USN Camp No. 2 in Houston when it chartered. I'm a past department commander of the Department of Texas. I'm also a past recorder and past commander of the Texas Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States.

To join MOLLUS, one has to have an ancestor who was an officer in the United States military. Am I correct?

Where would the nearest group to Cincinnati Ohio be? My gg grandfather's older brother was 1st. Lieutenant James K. Morrow 3rd
Tn. Mt. Infantry USA during the Civil War.

Though I am eligible, I never did join the SUVCW. I was, at one time, an SCV member, and attended a number of joint meetings, and found their camaraderie to be every bit as inviting as that of the SCV. If so inclined, I encourage CWT members to join either or both groups.

Back