Lee Submarine Robert E. Lee

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
The launching of the submarine Robert E. Lee SSBN-601 sliding into the James River.

43595009_1929519510690667_3360495894016294912_n.jpg

Different Time, Different Era. Naming a naval vessel, crewed by all races---and genders now---after a Confederate leader or figure would certainly be offensive today. The Secretary of the Navy is responsible for selecting the names of naval vessels and receives suggestions from members of congress, military sources and the general public and as politicized as we are today this would not happen again. I think.
Regards
David

Different Time, Different Era. Naming a naval vessel, crewed by all races---and genders now---after a Confederate leader or figure would certainly be offensive today

Offensive? Really?

You should protest USS Kearsage and USS Chancellorsville.

I'm no scholar, but I think both of these active duty U.S. Navy vessels were named for something bad that happened to the Union during the Civil War.....

Never mentioned naming a ship after a battle just humans nor am I protesting anything. If you careful read my post, the last sentence was "I think".

It takes no great feat of logic to realize the times have changed especially after the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church incident, does it? My personal beliefs have not been mentioned nor should they in this post. Just facts.
Regards
David

Mentioning that women are stationed on all US naval vessels was a fact not a comment on racism or sexism. I gather my comments on this thread about naming SSBN-601 Robert E. Lee has created some friction though I don't see why. My ancestors which fought for the Confederacy are as near and dear to me as any other person and I am not ashamed of them or their service. Admitting the times have changed is just facing reality.
Regards
David

The launching of the submarine Robert E. Lee SSBN-601 sliding into the James River.

Cool pic thank you sir.

Long may she run.

Well...'ran' at any rate...

'Robert E. Lee was decommissioned on 1 December 1983, and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 30 April 1986. Her hulk was stored at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard until it entered the Nuclear Powered Ship and Submarine Recycling Program. On 30 September 1991, it ceased to exist.'

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

OK, I might regret this but I'll bite...why should the USS Kearsage be protested? The first one was named after Mount Kearsarge in New Hampshire, and vessels after the first, in her honor.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

No regrets, USS Alaska. CSS Kearsage was a source of grief to Union shipping, that's all.

Oh, and the McCain family were Confederates, so let's be careful about naming anything after them...

I always figured if the Union named ships after confederates during the war......post war shouldn't be a issue.

The CSS Sterling Price was the USS Gen Price in US service.

Also seems silly, the Robert E Lee was a famous Americian riverboat built in 1866 after the war....... it's race with the Natchez in 1870 is legendary in river lore, so famous United States ships are somehow taboo now? Its record still stands for a commercial vessel.

Last edited:
No regrets, USS Alaska. CSS Kearsage was a source of grief to Union shipping, that's all.

Sir, there never was a CSS Kearsage. USS Kearsage was the sloop-of-war that sank the CSS Alabama in the Battle of Cherbourg on 19 June, 1864. That being her claim to fame, she had 3 major warships named after her.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Last edited:
Oh, and the McCain family were Confederates, so let's be careful about naming anything after them...
To most Americans, the Civil War is long over, our nation has reconciled its differences and again united. Any reference to "Confederates" today is generally friendly humor, not unlike referring to West Virginians as "Ridge Runners" or Wisconsinites are called "Cheeseheads".
Few outside this Forum, various lineage-based membership service organizations, and academia care about the Civil War. It simply is not important in the daily lives of most Americans.
Many descendants of rebels have served our country faithfully over the years. Two twentieth-century Presidents were descended from rebel soldiers. Any 'roll call' of distinguished American military leaders of the twentieth or current century is filled with descendants of rebel soldiers. There is no reason that the actions of their ancestors, long forgiven, should exclude recognition of their own honorable service.

@Drew

Not a problem sir - no blood, no foul.

To get back to @Stiles/Akin post, The USS Robert E. Lee one of the George Washington class SSBNs or nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines. The first class of US nuclear submarines to be built for such a role. A leg of our strategic nuclear deterrent triad. After serving for over 20 years in that role, she was removed from it due to SALT II treaty requirements. After she had her missiles removed, she and some of her sisters were reclassified as attack submarines, "slow attacks" as called by her purposed built members of that community. Then she was decommissioned.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Last edited:
To most Americans, the Civil War is long over, our nation has reconciled its differences and again united. Any reference to "Confederates" today is generally friendly humor, not unlike referring to West Virginians as "Ridge Runners" or Wisconsinites are called "Cheeseheads".
Few outside this Forum, various lineage-based membership service organizations, and academia care about the Civil War. It simply is not important in the daily lives of most Americans.
Many descendants of rebels have served our country faithfully over the years. Two twentieth-century Presidents were descended from rebel soldiers. Any 'roll call' of distinguished American military leaders of the twentieth or current century is filled with descendants of rebel soldiers. There is no reason that the actions of their ancestors, long forgiven, should exclude recognition of their own honorable service.

Two 20th century presidents? Let me help you with your math one day?

By the way, we are not descendant from, "rebels," we are descended from, "Confederates." That's what we like to be called and everyone (but us, it seems) is allowed to be called as he wishes.

You let me know when you're ready to do the math on 20th century presidents and I'll help you out.

Back