Stumbled across

archieclement

Colonel
this in my internet ramblings I thought some might find interesting, as guess it would be the culmination of Civil War blackpowder muzzleloading technology postwar in 2000lb Armstrongs. What would have been the largest gun used in the ACW?

Kinda amazing the 1880's tech.

Last edited:
I read about these guns recently, monsters. I believe the largest during the ACW were the 20'' Rodmans, several were mounted in seacoast installations IIRC but none were ever fired in anger. The description of some of the trials is interesting; during one trial, one failed to fire and a man was sent down the bore to inspect, can you imagine having that job??

I read about these guns recently, monsters. I believe the largest during the ACW were the 20'' Rodmans, several were mounted in seacoast installations IIRC but none were ever fired in anger. The description of some of the trials is interesting; during one trial, one failed to fire and a man was sent down the bore to inspect, can you imagine having that job??
That's when I would have refused the order and been drummed out!

Kinda scary, googling 20in Rodmans they were about half the weight in gun, shell weight, and powder charge then the Armstrongs.

Have any our European colleagues or international travelers been to Malta to see it in person?

Back